mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Need caliper adapter for 180mm rotor

I just got my 2010 Giant Anthem X frame replaced under warranty with a 2011 frame and the brake mount is different. The caliper used to mount horizontally on the old frame and now it mounts vertically. The problem is that I upgraded to a 180mm rotor and now the adapter needs to be changed, but I can't find the adapter anywhere. I'm using the stock Shimano BR-M486 calipers. Can someone help me find the right adapter or do I have to go back using a 160mm rotor?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hmmm, help me understand what you mean when you say your caliper used to mount horizontally/vertically. Take a quick picture if you can.

There's two standards (that I'm aware of anyway): post mount or IS (IS meaning International Standard) for disc brake mounts.

Post mounts are easy to to identify because it literally looks like a post sticking out (usually on the fork) and a bolt that tightens straight into it.

IS mounts look like metal tabs welded to the fork or designed into the frame, and the threaded bolts tighten into the side of it, instead of directly into it like the post mount.

If both your mounts are International Standard, then depending on your setup you can use the same type of adaptor. For example, I run a 180mm up front and a 160mm in the back, all I need are two 180mm adaptors for the front. I simply flip the 180 around when mounting it and it'll work for the 160mm in the back.

200mm up front will work for a 180mm in the back.
    180mm up front will work for a 160mm in the back.
    160mm up front will work for a 140mm in the back.

As far as I'm aware, this only applies to IS...post mount adaptors are a whole different story.

TL;DR Grab a 200mm IS mount, flip it around, and voila, you can use it for your 180 setup in the back (Assuming it's International Standard on your frame...it should be.)

Also, if I'm wrong with any of this information, please politely correct me. I know there's far more knowledgeable people out there, and I'd hate to spread around misinformation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Reigning View Post
    Hmmm, help me understand what you mean when you say your caliper used to mount horizontally/vertically. Take a quick picture if you can.

There's two standards (that I'm aware of anyway): post mount or IS (IS meaning International Standard) for disc brake mounts.

Post mounts are easy to to identify because it literally looks like a post sticking out (usually on the fork) and a bolt that tightens straight into it.

IS mounts look like metal tabs welded to the fork or designed into the frame, and the threaded bolts tighten into the side of it, instead of directly into it like the post mount.

If both your mounts are International Standard, then depending on your setup you can use the same type of adaptor. For example, I run a 180mm up front and a 160mm in the back, all I need are two 180mm adaptors for the front. I simply flip the 180 around when mounting it and it'll work for the 160mm in the back.

200mm up front will work for a 180mm in the back.
    180mm up front will work for a 160mm in the back.
    160mm up front will work for a 140mm in the back.

As far as I'm aware, this only applies to IS...post mount adaptors are a whole different story.

TL;DR Grab a 200mm IS mount, flip it around, and voila, you can use it for your 180 setup in the back (Assuming it's International Standard on your frame...it should be.)

Also, if I'm wrong with any of this information, please politely correct me. I know there's far more knowledgeable people out there, and I'd hate to spread around misinformation.
    The white frame is the older 2010 model and the black one is the 2011. I can't find a 180mm shimano adapter for the rear anywhere. And the mount on my fork doesn't fit either. The holes are a little bit wider apart on the adapter where it attaches to the frame.

So based on the info you posted (thanx) I need a post mount, 180mm, Shimano, rear adapter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need caliper adapter for 180mm rotor-imag0117.jpg  

Need caliper adapter for 180mm rotor-2013-09-01-20.09.00.jpg  

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    A front 180mm post mount adapter will work exactly the same on the rear as it does on the front if the frame has 160mm post mounts.

Plenty of shops sell them, here's a couple.
    http://www.artscyclery.com/Shimano_D...SHFDA18PP.html
    http://www.bikeman.com/BR8593.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Thanx everyone for your help. I went ahead and ordered an adapter from Amazon. They ship very quickly. I should be riding my new bike as soon as I get back in town.