mtbr member
    Mar 2009

need brake pads for avid bb5 need advices !

Ok, im explaining i here, i need brake pads for my back brake, i might as well do both front and rear (and transfer the good front pads to my other bike which uses the same pads)

I also received a ebay gift card from a friend, need nothing on there other than the pads, too much options for me to know what to choose.

what would offer the best in term of modulation,bite and stopping power, I also noticed many aftermarker pad have more friction material area than the stock avid pads, which should mean more stopping power logically (right ? )

sintered, organic,metallic or semi metallic ?

I am running 6" hayes rotors with avid ultimate levers for now, nokon cables and 8" front rotor are on my bd gift list (no hydro, to many friends ripped lines around here)

I appreciate any help i can get, i am just lost with the many type of brake pads available

thank you !

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    there is a LOT of info and even more opinions on brake pad materials... it actually very personal depending on your ride style, speed, terrain.. bla bla bla bla bla....
    read this, it'll help you decide on a pad "material"

http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=8&q=compounds&

I've used many aftermarket pads and found that most are about the same.. cheapo to very expensive, I have noticed cheapo one seem to wear faster but i use organic pads as they are quieter, but also softer and wear out faster anyway....

honestly, if I were you I'd take the money for pads and apply it to getting BB7's as the pads are probably close to 1/2 the price of the new calipers and there will be a VERY noticeable improvement with the BB7's over the 5's as much in set-up and upkeep as much as actual stopping power...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/