mtbr member
    Feb 2005

need brake help!!!

My frame flexes way too much for discs (at least cable actuated) without the disc rubbing the caliper every pedal stroke. My v's flex away from the wheel at least three or four millimeters too!!!. It's a Phobia frame-basically a KHS True Temper OX tubing...hardtail. I have disc mounts and canti posts. My question is: Do hydraulic brakes use two opposing pistons so there is more clearance around the rotor or am I stuck with v's and a booster? Any ideas? Any would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Mike

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    There is usually less pad clearance with hydros. At least with mechanical discs you can adjust it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

thanks Shiggy

That actually answers my question...I was wondering which would work better. I've tried all kinds of cable actuated discs before. None performed without the pre-described rotor rubbing. I could slack out the cable to keep the rubbing from occurring but it rendered the brakes useless...the lever couldn't pull enough cable to lock the brake. I'm stuck with my v's. I'll try a brake booster to keep the frame flex to a minimum. Mike

mtbr platinum member
    That sucks about the disc situation. Anyway, just wanted to say that back when I was running V's, I tried Salsa and Shimano Carbon brake boosters and the Shimano carbon model was far better than the Salsa. I hardly had any flex at all with the Shimano, where as the Salsa was only a bit better than stock.

Good luck.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

brake woes

It looks like I will be stuck with v's for a while. I was just curious if anyone else had this seemingly odd experience. Is my frame that noodly??? I will try the carbon booster or have my fabricator/buddy make me one out of aluminum with his CNC machine. I see inherent problems with the "off the shelf" ones having slotted bolt holes. He can make me one that fits ONLY my posts. We'll see if that helps at all. Thanks bikerx40 and Shiggy

Uncle

brake noise & cures

Quote Originally Posted by phobiaxc
    It looks like I will be stuck with v's for a while. I was just curious if anyone else had this seemingly odd experience. Is my frame that noodly??? I will try the carbon booster or have my fabricator/buddy make me one out of aluminum with his CNC machine. I see inherent problems with the "off the shelf" ones having slotted bolt holes. He can make me one that fits ONLY my posts. We'll see if that helps at all. Thanks bikerx40 and Shiggy
    I had some of the Hayes mechanicals with the matching levers & had a hell of a time getting the off&on rubbing to subside. Solution was Avid SD7 levers -- that speed dial feature allowed me to set the levers to move a lot of cable, so that I could gap out the pads & still get some positive stopping power. Might work since your problem's with the rear, where one can use less power anyway.

Might be worth a shot if you've not tried it yet.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.