mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Need bike mechanics input

I know there are a few here that work in a bike shop and I could use your input.
    I'm a mechanic with Target,have been for 4 yrs now.Built around 4000 bikes.My store recieved a new cruiser model and there are problems with the V brakes.The rims on this model are angled in unlike other bikes that have rim brakes where the rim is flat where the pad makes contact.There is only about 2mm of pad contact with the rim.When riding the bike and the brakes are applied you just keep going.The bike is unsafe to ride as it is and I refuse to sell it until the problem is resolved. I have spent a total of 2 1/2 hours building and trying to adjust the brakes on 2 different bikes.My opinion is that these are the wrong rims for these brakes.These rims are used on another one of their cruisers but it has a coaster brake.I'm hoping someone with experience in a bike shop can back me up.I have been in contact with the manufacture and as of yesterday they have determined that the brakes are fine.The bike passed their quality control.I emailed pics to them today to show them the problem.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Need bike mechanics input-csc_0041_zpsdf9214ba.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need bike mechanics input-csc_0031_zps844a4ee4.jpg  

mtbr member
    No mech here but It sure doesn't look proper but hard to tell especially the lower pic. If you can get some shots @ diff angles, ie above, front & back sides with good lighting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Looks to me like that rim is incompatible with rim brakes. It's not shaped properly, and the paint/finish appears to cover the side of the rim where the pure braking surface should be. Seems as if the manufacturer had a specification error. Good thing you were on the ball!

AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    A shot from different angles is impossible without professional lighting.These are the best out of many that I shot.The shadows cau
    sed by the lighting and flash ruined most shots.

The rim to me isn't the correct rim and isn't compatible with rim brakes.This same rim is actuall used on another cruiser bike but it has coaster brakes.Its also painted which is something a lot of the manufactures do on the cheap bikes to save money.

Aas it is now I refuse to sell it.My store is backing me.I have contacted out corporate office and they said that the bike manufacture will contact me which they did. I didn't get the answer I wanted so I have to push a little harder.I sent them pics to show them what the problem is.Hope to hear from them soon.If I have to I will file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Agency.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    looks like a disc only rim... if the braking surface is painted (which it looks like it is) you're not getting a rim brake surface.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Agree, rim not designed for brakes. The center mounted brakes barely work on those type (angled AND painted/chromed) too. Pretty common with kids bikes to have this type of rim & it be painted or chromed.

I imagine there would have to be talk of recall/lawsuits to get the manufacturer to listen. Good luck & good on you for recognizing the safety issue!
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    We periodically have a few Walmart bikes come in with a similar setup. The ones with a U-brake or side-pull can be set up to work somewhat since the arch they travel in is similar to the angle of the rim. Ones with V or canti brakes have a much tougher time since their travel arch is opposite of the rim angle. Neither option is ideal and they really shouldn't use those rims for rim brakes. Good job noticing.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Good on you for not allowing an unsafe product to be put in the hands of your customers. Not that it means anything, but I'm a tech, and even in those photos it's obvious the pads don't make anywhere near correct contact with the rim. As far as I can tell there is no braking surface on that rim. Almost looks rounded.

mtbr member
    we have some times those kind of rims they are **** but can be adjusted try with other pads but they will never brake right

mtbr member
    If they force you to sell them like that, the only thing you can do is take a box cutter and reshape the pads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The 'cheap' fix? High tack brake pads. Éclat (and Koolstop) make clear brake pads that can turn just about any brake/rim combo into an instant stop. At cost from a distributor, you are looking at $6-8 per pair. Likely, even 'regular' aftermarket pads will be better than what are on there.

You're likely fighting a few things here: the rim, the pads, and the brake arms themselves. My experience with stamped-steel v-brakes has been that they flex an inordinate amount. The pads tend to be sub-par (and this doesn't get better as you buy more expensive brakes, until you are dropping $35-50+ per brake), and the rim itself is fighting against you. Eventually, as the finish wears off the rim from braking, it will work better, but it will never work as well as a properly profiled rim (not to mention an uncoated one). As syl3 said, you're probably going to have to profile the pads, but before that, take the pads off completely, and if the larger conical spacer is not next to the pad, switch it so it is. It will allow you to set the arms up farther apart, getting a better angle on the rim. Sand the face of the pad before you put them back on.

Good luck solving your problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks everyone for the replies.You all just confirmed what I new was right,its the wrong rim. I or the someone that purchased the bike online shouldn't have to do anything like sand the pads etc.This was a design oversight. They were just using available parts to create a new model and overlooked this.Now just have to make Huffy see the problem. Went to another store and looked at their bikes and they were just as bad,actually worse that mine. Yesterday I spent some more time trying to get it to work somewhat.If I adjusted the pads so that they rubbed the rim and contacted the rim at the very top right where the tire bead is I could get it to stop.BUT if I kept riding and applied the brakes several times,the brakes would fade then after a few more times would fail.Here is the pic after 10 stops. Definately not safe.I will be in contact Monday with Huffy and my corporate office.Thanks sooo much again.
    Need bike mechanics input-csc_0033_zps50d2bce5.jpg