mtbr member
    Feb 2004

need anti-loctite! stupid brake mistake...

hey, so I made a stupid mistake. My lever adjust screw on my hayes HFX-9's were rattling loose a little bit because I had adjusted them breaking the original loctite. my friend had some permatex (generic) penetrating grade loctite (the green stuff), so I figured that once the adjustment screws were set, I could just put a drop of the green stuff on and it would penetrate the threads and make me happy. well, a little while later, i found that the loctite had penetrated all the way down and into the plunger rod in the cartridge assembly. at first I though the lever busings had become sticky, but I cleaned and greased them with no luck. Next, I put some penetrating lub around the plunger rod, and after that didn't work, I put some WD-40 down there. I'm pretty sure I just gunked it up even worse. Is there any way I can clean all that gunk out without servicing the cartridges? thanks for any help. --john

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freakyletta
    hey, so I made a stupid mistake. My lever adjust screw on my hayes HFX-9's were rattling loose a little bit because I had adjusted them breaking the original loctite. my friend had some permatex (generic) penetrating grade loctite (the green stuff), so I figured that once the adjustment screws were set, I could just put a drop of the green stuff on and it would penetrate the threads and make me happy. well, a little while later, i found that the loctite had penetrated all the way down and into the plunger rod in the cartridge assembly. at first I though the lever busings had become sticky, but I cleaned and greased them with no luck. Next, I put some penetrating lub around the plunger rod, and after that didn't work, I put some WD-40 down there. I'm pretty sure I just gunked it up even worse. Is there any way I can clean all that gunk out without servicing the cartridges? thanks for any help. --john
    I have had Locktite do the same but not on a bicycle brake. Originally I would have suggested brake cleaner spray but you sprayed a petroleum based liquid. If the sealing o-ring on the piston was exposed it can swell. You may be better off taking it apart and cleaning it.