mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Need Advice on XTR Calipers

what a dummy I am!!! While bleeding my brake line, I accidentally pumped too much and one of the pistons partially came out of the caliper body. I pushed it back in (with my hands) but now they aren't articulating correctly (ie I have to squeeze the levers muliple times to get a little movement from the pistons). What do I need to do to fix this?

Here's a little history of my stupidity in case anyone is interested (or wants to avoid the same mistake):
    I got a nice used set of XTR disc brakes at a great price. I needed to re-connect the front caliper and bleed the mineral oil (long, tedious process). I removed the brake pads (big mistake) so that I wouldn't accidentally contaminate the pads). I bled the line by opening the fluid reservoir and squeezing the lever back and forth (allowing tiny bubbles to percolate up and then refilling the reservoir). I pushed the pistons flush every so often but in the final stages of the bleed, I didn't check the pistons soon enough and one of the pistons partially came out of the caliper body, I pushed it back in but now the pistons aren't articulating correctly. I have to squeeze the levers a number of times before I get a little bit of articulation in the pistons.

thanks for any help.

Meh.
    It sounds like you need to rebleed. Use the Shimano bleed kit. It makes things so much simpler.

mtbr member
    I've done the same thing on my XT's. You'll definitely need a rebleed. You did the right thing by removing the pads. Next time use some sort of a spacer. I use one half of a wooden clothes pin.
    Get over it!