Kneel Before Your Master

Need advice on Juicy 3's

After two rides I noticed that they made a decent amount of noise and really don't have a good feel to them. I deicded to take the pads off and scuff them lightly to get down to some new unglazed pad. I then wiped down the rotors with rubbing alcohol and a clean rag. Yesterday I rode and they have the same feel. The braking power just isn't there. Is this common with these brakes? Should I upgrade instead of buying new pads and bleeding?
    Last edited by mbogosia; 09-22-2010 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Holy Crap! Thanks mitzikatzi!

Master of Disaster
    Bike had an MSRP of $1590, came with a Fox fork...and a brakeset a lot of people wouldn't pay fifty bucks for.

I continue to be amazed at the number of nice bikes spec'd with low-end brakes having a poor reputation. SRAM's web site conspicuously doesn't list any of the Juicy-series brakes for use in any category requiring a brake that works well (e.g.; Downhill or Freeride). In fact, what happened to the Juicy Five and Juicy Seven models? For 2011, SRAM only lists the Juicy Three. If it was new and improved enough to make older Juicy versions obsolete, I'd have thought SRAM would have given it a fancier name.

http://www.sram.com/avid/category/372

Kneel Before Your Master
    Yeah, I would have rather had BB7's than these Juicy 3's. They really suck. I am trying to give them a chance, but they just don't stop worth a crap. On top of poor power they make all sorts of noise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia
    Yeah, I would have rather had BB7's than these Juicy 3's. They really suck. I am trying to give them a chance, but they just don't stop worth a crap. On top of poor power they make all sorts of noise.

BB7s use the same pads. If the brakes are bled and set up right, you shouldnt have a problem getting similar braking performance. As for the noise, results may differ

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My Juicy 3s work well, don't make any noise and stop well 'specially after I went with a 185 rotor in front. It helps if you know how to set them up and bleed them.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    Bike had an MSRP of $1590, came with a Fox fork...and a brakeset a lot of people wouldn't pay fifty bucks for.

I continue to be amazed at the number of nice bikes spec'd with low-end brakes having a poor reputation. SRAM's web site conspicuously doesn't list any of the Juicy-series brakes for use in any category requiring a brake that works well (e.g.; Downhill or Freeride). In fact, what happened to the Juicy Five and Juicy Seven models? For 2011, SRAM only lists the Juicy Three. If it was new and improved enough to make older Juicy versions obsolete, I'd have thought SRAM would have given it a fancier name.

http://www.sram.com/avid/category/372

The Juicy 3's are still avail. Usually found as a step above entry level bikes equipped with hydraulic brakes. The other Juicy models have been replaced by the Elixers. A much better brake system due to the revised master cylinder design.

Juicy 5's - Elixer 5
    Juicy 7's - Elixer R's
    Juicy Carbon - Elixer CR's
    Juicy Ultimate - Sram XX

The Avid Codes are designed for freeride/downhill. You gotta read the descriptions.

(copied from Srams website) http://www.sram.com/avid/products/co...lic-disc-brake

Code set the standard for freeride and downhill, and now with a full redesign, is about to blow those standards out of the water.

Kneel Before Your Master
    As far as bleeding, I am pretty sure these are how they came from the factory. I don't think the PO ever touched them. Maybe I will bleed them and see if that helps. I will use Dot 5.1 and I might stick some new pads on there as well. Maybe these pads were contaminated at one point with an oil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    DOT 5.1 won't make a difference. Won't hurt, either.