Thread: Need Advice

mtbr member

Need Advice

My wifes bike has Avid BB5 mechanical brakes which need so much babying (almost every ride) to get them to stop squealing or pad click-rubbing. Her bike is a Myka, so we're not talking anything even close to high end. Are these a suitable upgade for a bike of that level? Or does it make sense to go the XT route which are about $100.00+ more.

What would be most helpful would be advice from anyone who has either owned these or a wrench that has dealt with them

Thanks, I appreciate it! You guys are great!

Hank

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Go SLX from a German online seller like Bike24 or Bikecomponents.de. Shipping is fixed at about 26 so add tires and whatever. These will transfer to the next bike.

mtbr member
    Lots to look at on the Bike24 site. I know 1 euro=1.2962 US $, but I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the shipping/return time line. It looks like the M596 does not have as good modulation as the SLX M666 but the M666 at somewhere near $239+- is close enough to $250 for the XT M785 brakes. The M596 is just over $100 for the set. So the decision moves toward either the Deore M596 @ $100 or the XT M785 for around $250.

Some reviews have said the lack of modulation on the Deore tends to cause the brakes to lock-up. This could be the skill level of the rider and not the component.

Further thoughts?

Hank

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Have to say I went from BB5 to Deore hydro set & am extremely happy.
    Was also fed up with the constant adjusting & squealing on my Hardrock Sport Disc.
    All is quiet now with the Deores. Stopping power is extremely strong.
    Can't think of anything bad to say about them!!
    2011 Hardrock Sport Disc
    1996 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Thanks ppokit,

Did you change rotors as well? Thinking it's a best practice but in some cases it may not be necessary.

Hank

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No, kept the same rotors. Deores fit no problem.
    If you go for it, be prepared to shorten the hoses - they are quite long, but spare olives & connectors are supplied, and if you search for "shimano shorten brake hose without bleeding" and follow the pdf instructions, you'll be fine (can't post links - not enough posts in the forum yet).
    2011 Hardrock Sport Disc
    1996 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    My wife is not ready to pull the plug and give up on the BB5's quite yet and I've got to give her some credit. We're both new to MTB and she's gone from "Don't Touch My Bike" to realizing that unless she finds it acceptable to get pis*ed off every ride and unless she's o.k. with running to the LBS after each ride, then she better let me (a fair wrench with a stand and all the propper tools) have a go at it or better yet want's to learn how to do it herself and I'm all for the theory "If you want something done right then do it yourself".

Attached is an interesting article I was able to find. I especially like the added paragraph :Attention BB5 folks"

Thanks for the help,

Hank
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Well after another trip to a LBS and some expert help which included removing the pads and sanding the gloss off, cleaning the discs with alcohol, centering the calipers on the rotors and bolting them down, we left the shop well instructed on how to do it ourselves without so much as the tiniest squeal.

First ride out sounded like two pigs fighting under a blanket. Goodbye BB5's we want to ride em not fix em on the trail. So she ordered the Shimano Deore M596 Brakes on eBay from Crosslakesales $116.97 no tax, free shipping.

SHIMANO 2012 DEORE Hydraulic Disc Brake Set BL-M596 BR-M596 F + R Bike NEW | eBay

The hose lengths seem in the ball park and thanks to a MTBF member and a link to trimming hose on a pre-bled system and ppokit's response that we can keep the BB5 rotors, we're hoping things might just work out.

I'll probably need more advice, so thanks in advance, here's hoping,

Hank

mtbr member

End of Story

The general consensus lately (and I have no argument with) is that Shimano XT M785 are the best bang for the buck, in fact I’d probably like to have them on my Rockhopper Comp 29 only my bike is less than 1 year old and I’m not having any issues with my Avid Elixir 1’s So if “It ain’t Broke don’t fix it” applies at least for now. The XT’s will set you back $250 more or less depending on the eBay or Discount House like Bluesky. Jenson or some others.

As I had mentioned, my wife’s bike a Specialized Myka HT Sport Disc came equipped with Avid BB5 mechanicals. This is the second Specialized bike (her Dolce road bike) where Specialized “cheaped-out” I mean…”Specialized give me a brake”, even though both bikes are understandably "entry level" both bikes should have be equipped with something road tested, found to be non-problematic and up to the level I'd expect from Specialized.

After a bunch of rides where either half way in the noise would drive other group riders away, or discovering three quarters into a ride that she had put twice the effort into a ride due to a dragging brake pad then after two LBS wrenches had at it (no fault of their own) still couldn’t fix the problem, she became convinced that just maybe I could do a better job, and she went from “Don’t touch my bike” to “What do you think”.

I thought for the entry level Specialized Myka that XT’s were more than what was needed. Rationalizing an expensive purchase of “Well when I get a better bike I’ll just move them over really doesn’t cut it because no matter how good brakes are, (unless you’re really hard core) you’re not going to put great scratched up brakes on a new bike.
    After a little surfing and searching I found what I thought was a pretty good solution and a pretty good deal:

Random Bike Parts

ppokit answered (post #4, #6 ) when I asked specifically for advice from someone going from BB5’s to the Deore M596.

I placed the order. For $116 (free shipping, no tax), a week later opened a FedEx carton containing a sealed OEM bag with a pair F/R levers, calipers, hardware kit and Shimano instructions. (No fancy boxes just gimme the parts thank you).

The install was simple. It may sound opinionated, but I’m pretty much convinced that because of the design principal of mechanical brakes (one pad fixed one pad in motion) that hydraulics are the way to go. Toss some dirt and dust in there and you’ll be happy knowing your pads are going to float away from the rotors just enough to stop any noise and still give you the braking power you need.

We have to wait for this weekend before our next ride so I can’t really report any results till then, but I’m expecting we'll be riding instead of getting eaten by bugs while fixing her brakes....hopefully not untill her pads wear down and then I'll be doing that at home on the bike stand with a cool one nearby.

Till Later,

Hank
    Last edited by DirtyHank; 10-16-2012 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Glad the Deores are working out well.
    Still no problems with mine. Happy days!!
    2011 Hardrock Sport Disc
    1996 Rockhopper Comp