mtbr member
    Jun 2013

n00b question with adding rear disc caliper

ok so I picked up this bike today. It's a 2004 Gary Fisher Tarpon Silver Series (aluminium frame). The previous owner told me it had front & rear disc brakes installed and the rear caliper "broke". However, when I picked it up I noticed the bike had pull brakes installed on the rear and no caliper at all. he said when it broke he pulled it and put the pull brake back on. /shrug.

so I've NEVER dealt with disc brakes at all before and am a complete newbie at all of this so please pardon me if this is a completely stupid question.

How do I install a rear caliper? It uses Shimano BR-M415 (yes I know....) calipers and I can get a new one and I see the two holes that would most likely be used for the installation but there is a "quick release" lever that seems to be in the way of installing it.

Can this lever be replaced with something else that won't impede the installation of the caliper or am I just completely daft?n00b question with adding rear disc caliper-dscf6373.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012

Re: n00b question with adding rear disc caliper

Just loosen the lever, turn it and fasten it again. It's really simple..

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    boy, do I feel stupid. LoL. awesome though, thank you very much! now to order my new caliper.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by echarlie View Post
    boy, do I feel stupid. LoL. awesome though, thank you very much! now to order my new caliper.
    You need more that just the brake caliper. Your frame is missing the factory bolt-on disc brake mount.
    n00b question with adding rear disc caliper-post-24908-0-90751100-1312388507.jpg
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

GO BLUE!!
    Is that a crack on the upper bolt hole? If so, I would steer clear from mounting a disc caliper on there.
    I always wanted a Wookie, but I found out they weren't real.
    (Thanks for nothing, George Lucas.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine View Post
    Is that a crack on the upper bolt hole? If so, I would steer clear from mounting a disc caliper on there.
    Good eye but thankfully, no its just a line of dirt. LoL sorry, hadn't cleaned it very well yet when I took the pic.

You need more that just the brake caliper. Your frame is missing the factory bolt-on disc brake mount.
    well, crap. I texted the guy to see if he still has it. I told him it's probably still with the broken caliper. he said he will check. I hope he finds it.

if he doesn't what are my options?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

The mounts show up on eBay.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Go to a Trek dealer and get them to order you one, they still use this mount on the 3 series bike models.

Also available on ebay.

IS Mount: Rear Disc Brake Adapter for Gary Fisher Trek Klein Frames Universal Mount Disk | eBay

Post Mount: Rear Disc Brake Adapter for Gary Fisher Trek Klein Frames Universal Mount Disk | eBay

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The mounts show up on eBay.
    ok, thanks. what would I be looking for specifically?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thanks cobba. they're pretty proud of the thing for such a simple bracket. let's hope he finds the old one for me. LoL

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You can also take out the QR and put it back in the other way so it tightens from the cassette side. I would not recommend putting it in the forward postition like in the picture of post #4, It is too easy for something to hit it and unlock it from the forward position. QR's should be clipped back or up, not down or forward.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You don't need to get an M415 caliper just because that's what came on the bike. I wouldn't recommend it either. A BB7 caliper is probably not too much more. Put the BB7 up front and your existing M415 in back, or just get two BB7 calipers.

I used the Shimano M415s for about 6 months. I bet the rear v-brake on your bike could work better (assuming its adjusted properly and there's no pad or rim contamination).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I went to the Trek store and they ordered the correct bracket for me for $15. New caliper (yes I know I should have probably gone with Avids or something instead) cost me $35. Thanks for the help all!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Have fun dude, when in doubt ask a question.