mtbr member
    Nov 2004

N00b just installed 06 BB7's and have questions about dialing them in before riding

Just got them on sale at Price Point: front 203mm, rear 185. I've installed, left a little loose, pressed the in-bound adjuster to where the rotor should be, then adjusted the out-bound adjuster to press firmly against the rotor to hold it in place. I then torqed down the caliper, but when I try to back off of the adjusters, I still get slight dragging that's audible. Shouldn't they be clear of drag that's close enough to hear it? Also, when backing off the pressure with the adjusters, it seems like the cliper is still too close to the rotor even though I set it with room (at least it looked like it).

Should I just get them working correctly and go ride on it or will the constant dragging create a problem with heat or something?

FYI to future buyers:

They sent them with a Roundagon rotor for the front (which I think is ugly) and a Paragon rotor in the rear. Just a little annoying that they don't both match but I guess I can live with it if they work well.

mtbr member
    I have the same set as you and have spent a good year perfecting it. I've come to the conclusion that it will rarely run perfect for long, however, they work great. Sounds like your rotors might be off true a bit? You description sounds like you're doing it correctly. The instructions from Avid are also really good. The constant dragging is not good at all. Not only is it annoying but your pads will wear unevenly and you're not at optimal power when braking. The Disc Brake FAQ to your right hand corner is terrific, give it a look.

I'm guessing that you'll just have to practice and re-loosen the bolts and re-adjust over and over until you got it down. If it really is the rotor being off true, then the dragging will easily disappear after some manual truing.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    as onegymrat said.. your rotors seem to be a bit out of true... not a big deal nor uncommon..just true them with a crescent wrench a bit at a time and clean them with alcohol when done...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Upset The excitement is wearing off and I'm growing to hate these things.

I spent a good hr or so trying to align these things yesterday. The back one (185mm) is perfect - no dragging, excellent bite. The front one (203mm) is still dragging no matter what or it's bite is weak. The rotor was slightly out of true, so I pushed it back into place and went thru the whole process of aligning again. Still dragging. Then I manually placed the caliper, by hand, in a position where it would not drag on the rotor and look parallel to the inward brake pad. I then tightened them up and no dragging but the pads are hitting the rotor at an angle, thus reducing braking power.

The only other thing I can think of that will cause drag after aligning per Avid instructions and truing the rotor is that the pads are not retracting flatly when not compressed - springs?. The other thing may be that my mount, adapter, or hub positon may be off, pulling the rotor slightly when contracted. I'm going to pull the pads out (just to take a look) when I get home and set it up per instructions again and just let it drag while I'm bedding them in. Hopefully the springs will readjust or something. I hate when I upgrade something that worked fine (SD-7's to BB-7's) and have a bunch of problems with it. I also hate going to a LBS with stuff I bought off the internet. Yaknow?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah.. break them in a bit first

then start messing with them... it sounds like the rubbing is not "tire stopping"..just getting on your nerves..

neutiquam erro
    Man, I love my BB7s, but they can be a mother to get set-up. On my 29er, my initial set-up worked like a champ - perfect CPS positioning, no rubs, and zero howl.

On my Blur, different story. Took many attempts to get the both dang CPSs aligned properly, and I'm still trying to work out a light-bite howl in the back.

But, once they are dialed, I love 'em to death! Patience is key...

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]