mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Mystery Issue on Tektro Dracos

I have a set of hydro tektros on my bike giving me the most frustrating problem. In the front, Ive been noticing a braking surge like what you would feel if there were a bent disc, its definitly enough to be annoying. Being that the bike is only weeks old, Ive taken it back to the LBS several times. They look at it, tell me the disc is perfectly straight and it should be fine. Then they ride it, tell me they feel it too, and say they dont know what to do. All they do is clean my pads with alchohol, and tell me thats all I can do. AAGGGHHHH!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have the same issue with my mechanical disc brakes. I only feel it at the front though, the rear brake feels normal. I also have no idea what is causing it but I can tell you that the rotor is perfectly straight. I'm starting to suspect my fork but it seems a bit unlikely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yeah the guys at the LBS tried to tighten my steering tube, but weve just about gave up.

Wrench
    Is the caliper aligned properly?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Is the caliper aligned properly?
    I dont have the equipment/skills to check, but vissualy, and by word of my LBS, yes.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Hey Lubbock, if you're in Lubbock, which shop are you taking it to?

Wrench
    Loosen the brake mounting Allen bolts until you can move the caliper around with your fingers. While spinning the wheel, feather the brakes, applying increasing force until the brake has immobilized the wheel. Keeping pressure on the brake lever, tighten the Allen bolts holding the caliper to the fork.

See if that aligned them. If not, slight fine tuning may be needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003 View Post
    Hey Lubbock, if you're in Lubbock, which shop are you taking it to?
    Broadway Bikes. Im starting to hear bad things from friends about them though

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Maybe the brakes were not burnished properly. When the rotor is new, some of the pad material is transfered to the braking surface. These needs to be done an even fashion. If it is uneven, the performance can be hindered.

Instead of.them just cleaning with alcohol, have it sanded, and properly broken in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
    Maybe the brakes were not burnished properly. When the rotor is new, some of the pad material is transfered to the braking surface. These needs to be done an even fashion. If it is uneven, the performance can be hindered.

Instead of.them just cleaning with alcohol, have it sanded, and properly broken in.
    The pad or the rotor?

Huckin' trails
    Funny, but it might be your axle or hub internals that could have a developed a wobble and then cause the rotor to move slightly during the rotation. That or your rotor is not centered properly when bolted down to the hub.

If you can't get to solve the issue, ask a full warranty replacement of the brake system. Take advantage that you bought the bike new from them to get it fix for good. Not like if you bought it somewhere else or online at discount price.

If you wish to upgrade your brakes, you can get the Avid BB7 (best mech available) or something like the Shimano Deore brakes, depending on tour budget (Deore, SLX or XT).

I can guaranty you that a properly set-up BB7 and using Speed Dial 7 levers and good housing/cables will provide you a simple, reliable and durable brake system for years, with enough power for 1 finger braking and at a fraction of the cost of a good hydro set.

And which bike do you have right now ? Hubs, rotors, etc ? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockrider View Post
    The pad or the rotor?
    The rotor. But clean the pads with alcohol, isopropyl alcohol in fact, just to get a fresh start everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    If you're going to Broadway, that was one of the best shops in town when I was there. If David is still the manager down there, ask for him and I'm sure he can help you. If you want to take it somewhere else, head to south Indiana, just inside the loop to DFC. If Sam is still there he can take care of you. He's a bit rough around the edges, but he's a helluva mechanic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Funny, but it might be your axle or hub internals that could have a developed a wobble and then cause the rotor to move slightly during the rotation. That or your rotor is not centered properly when bolted down to the hub.

If you can't get to solve the issue, ask a full warranty replacement of the brake system. Take advantage that you bought the bike new from them to get it fix for good. Not like if you bought it somewhere else or online at discount price.

If you wish to upgrade your brakes, you can get the Avid BB7 (best mech available) or something like the Shimano Deore brakes, depending on tour budget (Deore, SLX or XT).

I can guaranty you that a properly set-up BB7 and using Speed Dial 7 levers and good housing/cables will provide you a simple, reliable and durable brake system for years, with enough power for 1 finger braking and at a fraction of the cost of a good hydro set.

And which bike do you have right now ? Hubs, rotors, etc ? Thanks
    I have a 2012 scott scale comp with tektro draco hydros. Front hub is a scott branded hub and rear is a SRAM MTH-306 Rotors are Tektros.