mtbr member

Are my pads dead?

My front brakes have recently become hard to lock up. They are bled correctly since it takes only a little lever action to actuate them.

I'm afraid the pads and/or rotors are cantaminated. Can I clean them? I read the FAQ about this:

There are a few things you can try.....you can boil your pads in a pot of hot water, you can run them in the dishwasher, you can cook them in the oven, or you can cook them with a blow torch…
    Do these things work?
    Any other ideas?
    To clean the rotor, I've heard acetone, Dawn, Cream of Sum Yung Gal...does any of it work?

I should mention that the rear hydraulic line severed during a high speed crash and the fluid leaked out. It's possible that some of the fluid got either on the front rotor and/or pads...
    Last edited by Edderd; 06-14-2004 at 05:05 PM.

"El Whatever"
    Get rid of your contaminated pads. Start cleaning the contaminated ones and the rotor with alcohol. It should work but initially you will lose some power and will have to bed in the pads again. If it doesn't solve it... just trash'em

I would not bake them... who know what can happen to the bonding material, especially if those are semimetallic or organic. Pads are like 15 bucks and a visit to the ER I guess is more expensive.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Get rid of your contaminated pads. Start cleaning the contaminated ones and the rotor with alcohol. It should work but initially you will lose some power and will have to bed in the pads again. If it doesn't solve it... just trash'em

I would not bake them... who know what can happen to the bonding material, especially if those are semimetallic or organic. Pads are like 15 bucks and a visit to the ER I guess is more expensive.
    Actually, I guess you're right. Luckily I can still find pads for my old Coda Expert brakes.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I did bake them and took them for a ride. They worked well, but I only did it because I was unable to get the pads right away. I'll be getting new ones later today.

Thanks.

"El Whatever"
    I hadn't tried it as I haven't needed to. But what about this... clean them with alcohol, I'd say soak them but not so much. Now leave them under the sun for some hours (say as you go to school/work). This would (theoretically) will evaporate the alcohol and any other thing inside the pads... give it a go.... baking them... dude, you gotta be brave or desperate to ride. I know some pads are made by sinterization which is a process where you press small balls or debris of metals while you increase temperature so you basically bond metal by "melting" it, so baking would not hurt them but... who knows... I bet this would void the warranty...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Brave or desperate...or dumb, I guess. I was definately wanting to ride since my bike has been down for repair for about two weeks due to the severed hydraulic line on the rear brake. Once I got the new Avid set up on the rear, I discovered the front wasn't working well (due to the contamination). I had a sched to ride with some guys early this morning and didn't want to disappoint.

I know this is the kind of thinking that can be dangerous, but it looks like those pads are getting harder to find, and I just learned I'll have to order them...damn.

mtbr member
    You speak wisely. I rode the baked ones for a few rides and they worked very well: untill they disintegrated on a mild (luckily) downhill.

"El Whatever"

Oops...

I guess you learnt it the hard way.....

WTF, you said you were getting new ones the very same day... let me guess, "these are working fine, I'll use them till they fall apart".... am I wrong??

You kept your Guardian Angel busy... but I guess you got a Mule-Working-Angel...

Cheers and don't bake pads....
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    WTF, you said you were getting new ones the very same day... let me guess, "these are working fine, I'll use them till they fall apart".... am I wrong??
    Not exactly. I did say that, but when I went down to get them they turned out to be the wrong ones. So I had to order them. Of course in the meantime I rode on the baked ones, and you know the rest of the story.

I now have a new set installed, and two more sets ready in the wings.

Anyway, I thought I'd let you know that your advice was on the money, and I was lucky.

Thanx again.

"El Whatever"

Thanks...

I'm glad to help somehow....
    Check my Site