mtbr member
    Apr 2010

My juicy five brakes get tight when its warm outside :(

my wifes 2005 Specialized Epic brakes are fine when its cool outside, i can spin the wheel freely.. however as soon as the weather heats up to say 70-80 degrees, i can no longer spin the wheels freely. Also as she rides the bike for a little, the brakes heat up a bit more from friction and get stiffer and stiffer, to a point where it feels like you are going up a hill. This happens to front and back brakes.. its weird!!

I talked to a few bike shops, they told me i need to bleed them. So i busted out my avid bleed kit and bled them and put in new oil. once again, they were working perfectly last night, but today as the weather heated up, they got stiff again. I have no clue what to do, and i know if i take it to the bike shop, they will bleed them, charge me like $60, then it will be fine, and as it gets warm, it will get stiff again, and they will tell me to bring it in again so they can charge for more things to do. So i preffer to do things myself, its not that hard, im just not sure what it might be?

from how i under stand it, the fluid expands as it heats up and puts pressure on the pads? but why... i checked the calipers and they operate freely and back off easy as the lever is released.

can you guys suggest anything or anyone had this problem before? also maybe i should try DOT4 brake fluid?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickT916
    So i busted out my avid bleed kit and bled them and put in new oil.
    exactly what kind of fluid are you using now?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    is the system over filled? are you pushing the pistons back in after a bleed but before closing up the system?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Im using the fluid that came with the AVID bleed kit, i think its DOT5.1 ?

i used this video for refference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZkE...eature=related

im not sure how to push the pistons back? do i hook up the the surange to the piston and apply pressure on the lever?

Meh.
    It's overfilled. You need to reset the pistons. Level the lever, remove the lever bleed plug. Push the pistons back into their bores. Use an open ended wrench with the pads out, rock back and forth.