bi-winning

My HMX-1's have no more power

Recently i have noticed that my Hayes mech. disc breaks have way less power than they used to. Mainly the front. I am not sure why. When i squeeze the lever progressively you get more power, and then after a certain point, i can pull as hard as i want, but the power does not increase. It is pretty bad. I am not sure why. They are about 2 years old and i still have a little pad left, but not too much. How much is enough?

I tried cleaning the rotors whith alcohol, that had no positive effects. I tried lightly sanding the pads with a fine sand paper, and that did not help either. I am not sure what to do. I know they are crappy breaks to begin with but they used to be better. Since they never were good, the decreased performance makes them terrible.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by rkj__; 09-25-2004 at 12:58 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

bi-winning
    I think i probably may need new pads, but the rotor looks less than awesome itself.

I may have to buy myself one of those expensive Avids$$$

the fact that i have a race tomorow kinda sucks too. The back brake is quite a bit better, so i guess i'll have to rely on it the rear is actually newer because it was warantied after the adjustment knob siezed the first time... it's seized again, but it still has some power...

any comments?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

bi-winning
    ok, i guess i'm talking to myself
    everybody is gone riding on weekends...

i did my own poblem solving. i switched 1 pad front and rear, and it made a huge difference. conclusion, i need a new set of pads for the front...

thanks a lot rkj__

no problem rkj__

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    This a funny thread. Glad to hear you figured it out talking to yourself.
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

back in the saddle!
    As the pads wear, the inboard pad gets farther and farther away from the rotor. The inboard pad can be adjusted closer to the rotor by turning the "dial" on the caliper behind the pad . Move the inboard pad in close enough that it is not rubbing, it will make a world of difference. It probably got better when you switched the pads because they had more meat on them.

Cheers

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by rumor
    As the pads wear, the inboard pad gets farther and farther away from the rotor. The inboard pad can be adjusted closer to the rotor by turning the "dial" on the caliper behind the pad . Move the inboard pad in close enough that it is not rubbing, it will make a world of difference. It probably got better when you switched the pads because they had more meat on them.

Cheers
    ya they were adjusted, they just sucked.

Shorthills Cycling Club

it's....
    IF they lasted 2 years, you got good use out of them.
    I had to replace my pads after less than a season.