mtbr member
    Jun 2007

my hayes mechanicals dont work at all!!!

Hi, i just bought a new 07 Giant STP2 and my hayes GX2 mechanical brakes don't work.... well they worked for about an hour. Iv adjusted them and im sure the pads are making decent contact with the disc but they still dont work!! ad there is no oils or chemicals on the disc. help me please some of you may know that brakes can be useful.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Back to the shop?

The shop should be your first stop to have them adjusted. It's probably just cable stretch.

R

bi-winning
    what happens when you squeeze the lever? does it come really close to the bars?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Make sure the inside(static) pads are close enough to the rotors. I have HMX-2 myself, never had a problem. To adjust the inner pad, I loosen the 2 mm Allen stopper screw on the body of caliper. Then turn the nut(on the inner side of caliper, Allen 5 mm) clockwise until feel some resistance. Then turn half of a turn back, so that the pad won't rub. In the end - tighten(not too much though) the stopper screw.
    But if your bike is brand new, of course, you must be entitled to at least 1 free tuneup, so you have nothing to worry about anyway. Besides, new disc brakes always take some time (for all I know, around 50-100 times to brake) until the pads break in.

Meh.
    Just bring it back to the shop... And own up that you tried to adjust it yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah, thanks for the advice. Iv taken my bike into the shop for my free service, and the mechanic said my cable was stuffed it must have frayed. Well i bought a new cable and now my brakes work perfect! cheers

Me hates pinchflat
    I used to have those brakes. They are pretty decent actually. What worked for me mas putting the inside pad (the one closer to the hub) as close to the rotor without rubbing. Then, I would adjust how far the outside pad was to adjust the lever "travel".
    Another friend has them, and everyone wonders why the f'ck his brakes are so goddammed powerful. He barely knows how to adjust them (I help him), and he uses 6 inch rotors (I used 8 inch).
    wierd...
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    I used to have those brakes. They are pretty decent actually. What worked for me mas putting the inside pad (the one closer to the hub) as close to the rotor without rubbing. Then, I would adjust how far the outside pad was to adjust the lever "travel".
    Another friend has them, and everyone wonders why the f'ck his brakes are so goddammed powerful. He barely knows how to adjust them (I help him), and he uses 6 inch rotors (I used 8 inch).
    wierd...
    The stopping power can be pretty good, but in my experience with 8 inch rotors, and quick release there is almost always rubbing if you want to maintain top power. No rubbing in a repair stand, but flex causes them to rub. Not as much of a problem with 6" rotors.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club