mtbr member

My experience w/ Shimano Brakes + Hope Rotors

I bought two sets of Hope Floating Saw rotors, mostly for the floating brake, plus the cool anodizing. The first set are a pair of 203mm using with Shimano Saint M810, and the second set are 183/160 with Shimano XTR. All the adapters were made by Avid.

The rear clears perfectly OK, but the front, when I set them up, there was a slight metallic rubbing sound, very similar to when the rotor is rubbing with the pad. The 183mm rotor I bought from Ebay have the anodizing rubbed off, so I took a closer look. With the caliper unmounted, the rubbing sound was still there. It turns out the aluminum spider is rubbing on the front IS -> post mount adapter. I took out the grinder, and took a bit off the adapter, and everything is working well It turned out I had to do the same with the 203mm rotor to get it rub free.

I figured I'd share this with anyone that wants to run Hope rotors with other brakes

MTBR Member
    Been there, done that. On my setup, the rivets that hold the two piece rotors together were rubbing on the adaptors - F & R. Taking a couple mm's off each adaptor fixed em up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had the same problem. The rivet rubs the adaptor. A little fileing and all was well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was just about to order these rotors at my LBS. I have XTR without any adaptors, 160mm. Would these work with the Hope floating rotors without rubbing issues do you think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroadie
    I was just about to order these rotors at my LBS. I have XTR without any adaptors, 160mm. Would these work with the Hope floating rotors without rubbing issues do you think?
    If your calipers are IS, then no rubbing problems at all. If you have Shimano IS -> Post Mount adapters, then you shouldn't have an issue either, at least my Shimano 160mm adapter seems much smaller than the Avid.

I'd get the rotors, mount them on the wheel, and take the caliper off the adpater. Turn the wheel to see if there is any rubbing. If there is, just use the grinder/file to take a couple mm off.

I love these floating rotors by the way. Much sturdier than regular Shimano 6 bolt rotors, and they look much nicer.

Cheers,

Ming

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My front caliper is post mount as is my fork. The rear is IS as is the frame so I did not need to use any adaptors at all.
    So far it sounds like I'd be okay with the hope floating rotors.

MTBR Member
    My front brake is post mount to post mount - I actually had to shave down part of the caliper, near the bolt hole. Hasn't been an issue so far and we're talking about a very small amt of material.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Have anyone tried using the Hope 183mm post to post adapters?

mtbr member

mine are mated to F203 R160 ashima air rotors

just installed in it was abreez now just need to find out how they behave with these rotors

Members who have read this thread: 0