No good in rock gardens..

My DIY Avid bleed kit.

Found that the rear Juicy 7 on my bike needed bleeding the other day - then found that Avids needed a special bleed kit to bleed them - $40 being the cheapest I could find. Or take it to the LBS...

I had a hunch about the size of the connectors, and I had some 4mm plastic garden irrigation hose fittings in the shed. I also had the right sized hose lying around. Again, cheap garden irrigation stuff.

What do you know - they screw into the bleed holes perfectly and sealed up fine. I thought I might need to source some small O rings, but no.

Here is the little barbed fitting I used for the connector - I cut off the pointed tip from one end. That screws into the bleed hole. The hexagonal end seals OK against the lip of the bleed hole if you screw it down firm.

Two 45 cent syringes from the local pet supply place and $15 for a 500ml bottle of Dot 5.1 and I was ready to go.

I had planned on installing some taps into the bleed kit lines, instead of using clamps - on impulse I tried the kit without them or clamps and it worked fine anyway - maybe a wee bit more spillage but not much.

Hope someone finds this useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My DIY Avid bleed kit.-p1010199.jpg  

My DIY Avid bleed kit.-p1010200.jpg  

Last edited by Sideknob; 03-06-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Very nice!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    I had a hunch about the size of the connectors, and I had some 4mm plastic garden irrigation hose fittings in the shed. I also had the right sized hose lying around. Again, cheap garden irrigation stuff.
    Nice find. I actually looked everywhere last year for something like this. end up buying a kit at the LBS.

mtbr member
    Great post
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Thanks guys.

Just been out for a couple of hours - brake worked fine.

mtbr member
    I don't see a hose clamp, so I'm assuming you didn't de-gas the fluid before pushing it into the caliper? It's an important step to getting a good bleed with 5.1

I'm a little obsessive, I de-gas 5 or 6 times to be sure I pull out as much air as I can before I push it. 5.1 is fussy stuff compared to mineral oil.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ive never "degassed" any of my bleeds, and my brakes work just fine. I personally think this is an Avid gimmick.

Of course I did - it's not hard to push bubbles out of a syringe. I used to stick them into people, you know - it was pretty important not to give a person an air embolism.

I was going to use little taps in the lines - decided to try without them and it worked fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Ive never "degassed" any of my bleeds, and my brakes work just fine. I personally think this is an Avid gimmick.
    YMMV, but degassing worked noticeably better with my XX's. Can't say I noticed a difference on my Pugsley with Elixir 5's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Of course I did - it's not hard to push bubbles out of a syringe. I used to stick them into people, you know - it was pretty important not to give a person an air embolism.

I was going to use little taps in the lines - decided to try without them and it worked fine.

Mine work just as well as they did when new now. Anyway, take my DIY kit FWIW. Just putting it out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got my kit on e-bay for $20 shipped which incl the fluid, two syringes fitted with hose fittings and pinch valve. Still, I like your improv. Nice.

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Degassing is a gimmick-most of the "air" is just sucked past the o rings amd it only looks like you have de-gassed teh fluid. If you had that much soluble gas in the DOT fluid then you would have gas in your brake lines too. Ha -Just like Avids always seem to.....

mtbr member
    All I know is that when I push the fluid into the caliper, I then draw lots of big bubbles out of it. Same on the lever end.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the idea! I had some similar irrigation nozzles laying around, and this worked like a champ. It's ridiculous to expect the consumer to buy a $50 tool just to bleed his brakes.

BTW, I did it with only one syringe. Rather than having a second syringe at the top (on the lever bleeder), I attached about 6" of clear tubing to act as a reservoir. Since the bubbles rise, you can push fluid through the system until the tubing is almost full. Any bubbles will rise to the top of the tubing, so you can then draw your syringe back and pull fluid back through the system without pulling bubbles.

AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Where did you buy your irrigation supplies? The ones at Home Depot don't have those threads

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    ...or wally world

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Oh wait, this is a British thing, isn't it.

I don't think these fittings exist in the entire Americas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Here's what I used. I clipped the little cap off the top and used tubing large enough to fit over the round part of the nozzle. The specs listed on both the website and on the package don't seem to match reality. These threaded in pretty nicely, and being plastic, you shouldn't risk damaging the threads in your caliper or lever.

180 Degree Spray Jets (10-Pack)-111B (search at Home Depot)

AM.