mtbr member

My buddy broke my K24's need to know how to fix it

So me and my buddy were riding today and hitting this wall ride, well I let him and try my bike and hit it and he crashed pretty bad and pulled my my brake lever all the way out of the housing. Well I can't get it back in and b4 I try this other way to fix it I want to make sure its right, but I think I have to remove the bolt that the brake lever hinges on then put it back in there is this right? and how do I remove that bolt? with like a punch or somthing?

I can get pics if needed, but help me out guys I want to go riding!
    Quote Originally Posted by cascaderider9
    I just dont get the fascination with sucking the money cock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    bump im the buddy that broke the brake lever. help please

mtbr member
    Wait so is that little reach adjuster with the ball at the end popped out and you can't get that in? If so, I did that once and my directions may be out of order a bit, but take the lever off and put it back basically...loosen the reach adjuster all the way out to take then pin out, then take the lever off (there's a tiny allen behind the reach adjuster you need to loosen, then pop out the part that connects the lever to the body). Then once the lever is removed, I could put the pin back in place (pushed it in thru the rubber boot), put the lever back onto the reach adjuster pin and tighten the reach adjuster back on while the ball is properly in place, then put that tiny allen back in and tighten the lever to the body.

I may be off, but put up a pic so everyone knows what happened maybe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ill have him post up a pic but thats kinda what i told him just from looks but he didn't wanna ruin his brakes

Meh.
    If he's afraid of ruining his brakes, take it to a shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    bump! anyone else have input?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I did this and just backed off the reach adjust grub screw all the way (anti-clockwise), then popped the pin back with the aid of some jiggling with a pair of pliers.

Flaccid Member
    Remind me to never lend my bike to dsmtuner2006.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    lol ouch. i use to ride bmx way diffrent when ur on a full suspension knolly lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    heres some pics
    broken2
    broken

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It should be a pretty simple 2 minute fix. From the second pic, it looks like you've backed the threads all the way out which will allow you to try to fit the ball-end back into the rubber housing. Using either a friend or a multi-tool (perhaps both) for leverage, you'll need to line up the ball-end as close as you can and then use a bit of brute force pull the lever until it snaps back in.

Once the ball-end is snapped back in, you can set your reach-adjust back to what you're used to riding with and it'll be as good as new. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Did the exact same thing to my K24...it will just pop back into the ball socket (which is inside the lever assy and you will not see it, however it is there) ...good as new...

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Remind me to never lend my bike to dsmtuner2006.

Hey RandyBoy, never lend your bike to dsmtuner2006 .

banned
    Amazing. Beginners on Knollys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Amazing. Beginners on Knollys.
    yup beginners, because asking to make sure its fixed right so I dont break it and spend more money yeah deff sounds beginner to me

ok so I can get it in but it wont pop in like it should it sits about a 1/4th an inch out like somthing on the inside is broke and keeping it from going in. I will mess with it some more tonight but idk I can not get this thing in right.

banned
    Sounds like a job for the bike shop if you can't handle something like that, especially something like your brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Sounds like a job for the bike shop if you can't handle something like that, especially something like your brakes.
    Why so I can take it to them pay them to fix it and when it happens again I still not know how to fix it and have to fork over more money? NO sounds real dumb to me when I can do it myself.

banned
    Doesn't sound so dumb, considering you're unable to fix it, and brakes happen to be a safety item that can potentially have lethal effects if you're going to play around.

mtbr member
    You're right that brakes are a safety item but it's nothing you can't test under controlled conditions.

Meh.
    If you don't know how to fix it, and you break the pushrod you'll be out even more money when you have to take it to the bikeshop anyways. And you'll have more downtime.

I'm not saying that you can't fix it... I'm just saying that if you're having so much difficulty, it may be best to leave it to a shop.

mtbr member
    Got it fixed last night man that was real easy for some reason it just popped right in last night idk what was different but it worked, they work great to no problems. I feel dumb for asking now hahaha, Thanks for the help guys[SIZE="1"](that ones actually helped)[/SIZE]

banned
    Glad to have helped!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This afternoon I did the exact same thing to my K18's. Both sides popped out.....well, me falling backwards off a rock face might have had something to do with it, but I digress.

The procedure described here worked like a champ for me. Took me all of 5 minutes to fix both sides.

These forums, what a great source of info!!!