mtbr member
    Jun 2009

My bike weighs a ton. Should I switch to V-brakes?

I currently have mechanical disc brakes but was wondering how much lighter my bike would be with good old fashion V-brakes. Do I really need disc brakes? I'm not doing any serious downhill and I don't race. I'm pretty much not in a hurry to go anywhere unless I'm eating white castle hamburgers, than i would be in a hurry to get to the can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi there Roc,

In case you taco your wheel, a disc brake setup will still work while you'll have no brakes if you're using vbrakes.

That aside, a good quality vbrake is better than a low end disc though.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Don't take a step back because of weight. I'm a hopeless weight weenie always looking to further lighten my ride. What I learned is:

a) a light bike costs a lot of money
    b) a light bike accelerates like no other
    c) a heavy bike makes you a stronger rider...especially if you're climbing hills
    d) v brakes are useless in the wet
    e) the difference between disc and v brakes is roughly about 100-250 grams(quarter pound). The braking power and control of discs far outweighs the v's
    f) first place to drop noticeable weight off is the TIRES...then the wheels
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Couldn't agree more with Zahariah. Tires and wheels is where you'll see the most weight savings.

mtbr member
    Don't judge getting disc/v based on whether you will taco a wheel or not. I am a hard rider and have been for 18 years. I have tacoed one wheel in my life but blew out many. Most of the time when you taco a wheel, it is unrideable anyway because it hits the fork. If it doesn't, you would have to be on a suicide mission to ride it like that.Knocking it out of true is different. Then, forget about the v-brakes if it is bad enough.
    I have had both and prefer v-brakes and while braking suffers in the wet, I could live with it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    I currently have mechanical disc brakes but was wondering how much lighter my bike would be with good old fashion V-brakes. Do I really need disc brakes? I'm not doing any serious downhill and I don't race. I'm pretty much not in a hurry to go anywhere unless I'm eating white castle hamburgers, than i would be in a hurry to get to the can.

Okay how much does your bike weigh now....

and what type of bike is it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Enjoy your bike how it is. I was a big disc brake opponent (just because), but now I would not go back. Unless you have a surplus of funds for bike related stuff I would not get on the upgrading bug. Too many people around here, myself included are always looking for better and lighter no matter the cost. Just ride your bike and replace when stuff wears out and fwiw the feeling of actually wearing something out is great. Sorry to get off topic, but my vote is to stay with discs.
    Yes, I do have a 29er. And yes, I still ride my 26er