mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Multiple wheelset different brake adjustments??

I got a set of Stan's crest with Hope Pro 2 hubs for my new Felt. The disk sits slightly off center to the pads and rubs on one side. The original WTB wheels are aligned correctly. The rubbing is creates enough drag that the wheel does not spin well.

My question is "is this normal for two different wheel sets?" My intention is to use the WTB wheels for long road rides (commute) and the Tubeless for dirt and racing.

Will the brakes self adjust? Will I need to recenter the entire mechanism every time I switch wheels? Which then leads me to wondering about them as spares for endurance races...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. This and a couple of other issues are driving me nutty(ier).
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    is this normal for two different wheel sets?
    It can be if you're using different brands .

With shims or washers should be able to sort something out so you won't get any rub.

Syntace Disc Rotor Shims | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Hope Rotor Spacer | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Hope Shims | ChainReactionCycles.com

If the inner pad rubs pack the rotor out.
    If the outer pad rubs then pack the other rotor out and realign the caliper.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Theres always going to be sone discrepencies when changing out wheels in terms of the disc and calipers. I would recenter and reset the calipers and discs everytime they are swapped.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thank you. Glad I'm not losing what is left of my mind. I'll look into the shims, as I want the ability to change quickly during events. got a history of doing bad things to wheels (and bikes) at the start of long events.

Keep the info coming folks! Is very much appreciated. Off to get the calipers to stop sticking.
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fachiro1 View Post
    Theres always going to be sone discrepencies when changing out wheels in terms of the disc and calipers. I would recenter and reset the calipers and discs everytime they are swapped.
    Exactly! That's the safest way to go about it....

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    Exactly! That's the safest way to go about it....
    What do you mean by 'safest' ?
    Are you implying that it would be unsafe to shim a rotor ?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by desnaephoto
    Keep the info coming folks!
    There's a few solutions to this rotor rub problem.

* Realign the caliper every time you change wheelsets - this is time consuming and unnecessary as shims can fix the problem

* Get a new wheelset that has the same hubs as one of your current wheelsets - this is costly and unnecessary as shims can fix the problem

* Get some new hubs that are the same as the hubs on one of your current wheelsets and re-lace your current rims onto the new hubs - this is costly and unnecessary as shims can fix the problem

* Shim one wheelset - this is a cheap and effective solution to the problem

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=757
    Quote Originally Posted by Syntace
    The disc shim centers the brake disc perfectly within the brake caliper. For different wheel-sets, this means you'll avoid brake drag after having swapped wheels.

Avid & Hope sell shims for this problem, do you think that brake manufacturers would sell these items if they weren't safe ?