Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Mugura MTS Brake Fade

[SIZE=3]Bike: Specialized 2013 Epic Carbon Comp 29er[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Brakes heat up and fail on short down hills. Mugura MTS brakes with Storm SL 160 rotor.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Has anyone else experienced this problem? I’ve ridden these same trails for a number of years, on a number of different bikes, with different hydraulic brake systems and never had any issues. [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had the very same problem ,had them bled by two different bike shops and changed pads,no change.Took them off and went with different brakes.Once they got hot it was really bad brake fade,almost to a point in where yyour better off putting your foot down.Remember there the low end maguras.I wont even sell or give mine away cause there that bad.

mtbr member
    Have either of you talked to Jude from Magura yet, I am not sure if he had come accross others with similar issues. He is a Member here on MTBR

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Have you tried bigger rotors?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Mugura Brake Failure

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Have you tried bigger rotors?
    When you purchase a new $4000 bike you shouldn't expect to replace the brakes. Came very close to having an accident due to the brake failure.
    Brakes were to the point of total failure. After they cooled off they starting functioning again. Not sure I'll ride this bike again until problem is resolved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I tried everything with them, I have 180 on the front.i bought the shimano rotors,still the same.swapped to 2013 xo trail and they are top class.no noise fade or anything.i know others here don't like the xo brakes and have problems with noise, but not here.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Mugura MTS Brake Fade

I wonder if the long levers are the reason Specialized had Magura custom configure these MTS brakes. It seems XT would be the safer way to go, but the short levers are not ergonomic for all. And XTs are measurably heavier.
    M

mtbr member

Mugura MTS Brake Fade

Did you bed in the brakes before riding them? I've ridden my MT 8 equipped bike down long (5 mile) steep dirt road descents with only minor fading.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bed them properly with both sets of pads,and not on a ride,after bedding left the bike overnight to cool,they were fine on flat ground but once you started descending and they got warm you could pull the lever to the bar and no brake.Bike before that i had juiceys on it and no problem.There just the low grade maguras,i'm sure the more expensive maguras are good.As someone said on a $4000 dollar bike there should be at least be a decent setr of brakes,i could buy a new dirtbike for 6000 and look at the suspension,brakes and engine in that

mtbr member

Mugura MTS Brake Fade

If the lever goes all the way to the bar it sounds more like a bleed issue. I would try bleeding them

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    have you read the other posts from me

mtbr member

Mugura MTS Brake Fade

Sorry, I thought I was replying to the OP

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Brake handles never bottom out even with me applying an excess amount of force in an attempt to slow down to prevent riding off a cliff.
    I live in CO and we are either climbing or descending. In order to ride safely we need functional brakes. The decent where my brakes failed is only .25 miles long but steep.

As I previously stated I have owned several other mountain bikes and never experienced this issue with any of them. Have been to Moab and ridden the whole enchilada, which is a 25+ mile decent without any brake issues.
    These MUGURA MTS brakes are crap!
    Have already ordered new Shimano brake system to replace Mugura.

mtbr member

Mugura MTS Brake Fade

I would still reach out to Jude Monica, he will get your MT's fixed. You can use them on another bike or resell them with the confidence that they are fixed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    dirtyjack THANKS for the feedback! How do I contact Jude Monica?

mtbr member

Mugura MTS Brake Fade

He's here on MTBR. Send a PM to judemonica

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    He's here on MTBR. Send a PM to judemonica
    Or go to the Magura website and contact their customer service group............

mtbr member

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    How can I help dhenshaw?

You should have plenty power from these MTS brakes. If you aren't getting enough friction at the pad/rotor, then fairly easy to diagnose by looking for shiney or contaminated pads.
    If the lever blades engage good w/firm lever feel but no friction at the rotor, contaminated pads or caliper alignment subtleties may be the issue.

If the lever blade is mushy , then there is either air in the system or again a caliper alignment issue.

These MTS brakes have been solid performers so far so I am sure we can rectify your struggles.
    Feel free to message me directly or ring me up.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting I am running the mts and I am pretty amazed
    by the power. So much so I am now thinking I should have
    gone 160mm in the front. Plus they are light compared to the other offerings in their
    price range. Contact Jude he will get you sorted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks to all for the great feedback! I've already swapped out the Magura brakes with
    Shimano XT's. What a difference! Wasn't really interested in playing around with the existing brake setup. I ride in the Rocky mountain region which requires well functioning brakes.

Norđwegr
    I went with Magura MTs on my Scalpel and I've been nothing but happy about them, maintenance is very simple to do and can be done in 10 minutes or less, front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by judemonica View Post
    How can I help dhenshaw?

You should have plenty power from these MTS brakes. If you aren't getting enough friction at the pad/rotor, then fairly easy to diagnose by looking for shiney or contaminated pads.
    If the lever blades engage good w/firm lever feel but no friction at the rotor, contaminated pads or caliper alignment subtleties may be the issue.

If the lever blade is mushy , then there is either air in the system or again a caliper alignment issue.

These MTS brakes have been solid performers so far so I am sure we can rectify your struggles.
    Feel free to message me directly or ring me up.
    The only thing that you forgot to mention is rotor thickness. Storms [& SL] are somewhat thicker than offerings from other manufacturers, if a non-Storm rotor is used that can cause issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhenshaw View Post
    Thanks to all for the great feedback! I've already swapped out the Magura brakes with
    Shimano XT's. What a difference! Wasn't really interested in playing around with the existing brake setup. I ride in the Rocky mountain region which requires well functioning brakes.
    Thats too bad - I have had great success w Magura - And you even had Judes attention in here - he would have sorted ya out.

Good news is you have selected good brake system as well - not any easier/harder to maintain then the magura stuff, but if you could just bolt it on and go, then that is best. When the Shimanos have something up and you swap them out let us know!

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Thats too bad - I have had great success w Magura - And you even had Judes attention in here - he would have sorted ya out
    Strange that he has only 5 posts, 4 of them to bash "Mugura", I guess the first option would be to take your bike to whom sold it you (Spec??) or ask in the manufacturer site. I really don't think the best way to solve a problem with your brakes is posting in any forum, but....that's just what I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i think the reason he posted is that he had a problem with magura brakes on a new bike the same as what i had,don't try and twist it into something else,he and i had the same problems and worked out that the the brakes were junk and swapped out to something else,go read ALL off the other posts,i'd taken mine back to the spec dealer that bought mine off,to two separate stores off there's and a local store,that's 3 bike shops.no change,i wanted to ride my new bike instead of loading it in my truck driving it to bike shops,that's why i swapped,no one said magura was crap,this low scale brake of there's is,other higher scale maguras are fine and so what if anyone bashes magura,what has it got to do with you?i'm sure if we went through your posts we will find something negative about some brand of something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast