Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

MT6/MT8 any better than MT4?

I bought an XC bike with Avid Elixir 3's. They work fine, but are not very ergonomic when paired with X0 9 speed grip shifters, and are a little heavy for XC. I ride XT brakes on my trail bike, and love them, but I figured I'd give the MT4s a chance since they are pretty light.

Got the MT4s and threw the front brake on my bike, and was instantly disappointed. The BAT doesn't actually adjust how close the pads are to the rotor, it's just a super cheesy mechanism that introduces a gap between the lever and the piston, giving this awful feeling play between the beginning of the lever travel and when the piston engages. I threw the brakes back in the box without even trying the rear. Definitely a no go.

The MT6/MT8s without the BAT look like a much better design. I'm wondering for people who've used both, were you more happy with the MT6/MT8s, or should I just go back to Shimano?

Nor­wegr
    Isn't the design identical apart from the mt6 and mt8 having no adjustment options ti save weight?

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    dthomp325 -

The MT4, 6 and 8 all are very similar in design, radial master piston and slave piston sizes.

The MT4 is the only Magura with an adjustable contact point adjuster and you are correct in that the adjustment only adjust mechanically where the blade and MC piston connect in the master body.
    This adjustment and all competitors "contact" adjustments are basically an elaborate lever blade adjuster and I agree that it makes the blades feel sloppy.

There are no systems available from anyone that adjust where the pad resides in the caliper and if so would have to be a "closed" system.
    No current or competitive systems allow for this, otherwise it would be impossible for automatic pad wear adjustments to occur or for heated fluid to expand somewhere aside from the caliper pistons.

The MT4 has a Carbotecture VS the "6 and 8" Carbotecture SL master cylinder body. All are carbon fiber but the Carbotecture SL has longer length fibers and are more controlled in the fibers orientation therefore enabling minimal material used overall and a lither and lighter MC.

The calipers are the same one piece design with adjustable banjo fittings but the "8" gets more machining so less weight and bulk.
    Also, The 4 and 6 get steel hardware VS alloy for the 8.

And yes Vergard, lack of adjustment options help to save weight also. Thanks for the input.
    Jude

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Isn't the design identical apart from the mt6 and mt8 having no adjustment options ti save weight?
    With the MT4 there is another piece between the piston and the lever. The BAT is attached to the piston, and when you pull the lever there is some free travel play before the BAT engages and pushes the piston. I haven't seen the MT6/8 up close, but it looks like the piston is connected directly to the lever. It looks like the piston would be immediately engaged without any lever play on the MT6/8.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    is it safe to assume that the carbon lever blades from the MT8 work on other MT systems? i have a busted blade on an MT6 and wouldn't mind upgrading to carbon...

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Yes , you can use any blade from any MT brake to swap, mix or match. You will need to make a simple modification when installing an MT8/6 lever blade to an MT2/4 or "S" master body. there is a "tab" that will need to be scored and removed prior to installing the 8/6 lever blade to a 2/4 body. Easy however and straight forward.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks!