Thread: Mt6

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Mt6

When I rode today at my local trail, after about 10min into my ride when I press the front brake lever, there was a stuttering feeling at the caliper/rotor area. I stopped and checked all the bolts and they were all tight. It rode like that the rest of my ride. It felt that the front wheel was stopping OK besides the stutter feel.

I placed the bike on a bike stand and checked all of the bolts again including rotor bolts and they were all tight. I took the pads (plenty of life) out and cleaned them.

Now there is no "bite" when I squeeze the lever. The front tire will roll even at full on pressed lever. The rear is fine as it would stop and lock. On a bike stand, I can crank the front wheel to turn even on full pressed lever. The lever seems fine as it does not feel mushy nor does it go all the way to the bar.

I still have the original pads in there and really has low miles on them. Could it be some air bubbles in there? I also contacted Magura to see what they have to say. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hi cornice6. I believe you emailed me about this and I replied on the matter to your email.

Let me know how it turns out and if you need a bit more assistance.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How did you clean them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by judemonica View Post
    Hi cornice6. I believe you emailed me about this and I replied on the matter to your email.

Let me know how it turns out and if you need a bit more assistance.
    Yes Jude, thanks. I have yet to take it out since but will try to ride it again on a long descent and see how the pads align this time. I would say the pads have about 100+ miles or so at least. Will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    How did you clean them?
    I took the pads out and used Simple Green degreaser, then a clean rag to dry it out.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Here is the best way to clean brake pads.

Remove them from the caliper, lay each one face down on "dry wall sanding screen" atop a flat surface and in a circular fashion, surface grind the pad face evenly. Not back and forth but in a circular manner. This takes material off evenly.

Then use only isopropyl alcohol to remove the brake dust.

Stay away from other solvents as it may stay in the pad and then glaze easily.
    I love simple green but not here!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ^ok, will give that whirl. thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I followed Jude's instructions on both cleaning and braking while descending to properly align the pads. Went to my local trail and did a couple of long descents while working on the brakes. It worked, now the pads are aligned and biting on the rotor with much force! Thanks Jude!
    Last edited by cornice6; 01-21-2013 at 07:08 PM.