mtbr member
    Sep 2012

MT4 travel question

I'm a relatively new rider and have no mechanical inclination so forgive my ignorance. The MT4s on my bike are about 3 months old and I've had no problems with them working, but the travel on the rear brake is quite a bit more than the front brake. Someone told me that was because the fluid or whatever had further to travel on the rear brake and that it was normal. I wanted to know if that was correct and if there's any way to adjust the travel if wanted.
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest
    Selle Italia Ldy Gel saddles

Happy Trails
    The fluid doesn't move. Normally, your brake and brake line are completely full of incompressible fluid. As you close the lever to pressurize the system, the increasing pressure compresses calipers to squeeze the discs on the rotor. Your problem is (most likely) that you have air in your hydraulic lines. One lever travels further because there is compressible air in that line that must pressurize before the incompressible fluid pressurizes and starts working the hydro-mechanical system. It's also possible that the stroke (travel distance) of the levers is set differently.

You (most likely) need to bleed your brake system. Lots of people do this themselves but its a hassle and messy, especially without the tools you need. Take your bike to shop and they will bleed and groom your brakes to perfection. If you bought your bike new just a few months ago, your derailleur cables also may need adjusting for "stretch" . The bike shop will cut you a great deal on a 90-day tune up, maybe even free.
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 01-18-2013 at 10:02 PM.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    It's also possible that the stroke (travel distance) of the levers is set differently.
    Might as well check this first. The MT4's do have a bite point adjustment and, like Scott says, they may be set differently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ignorance again, but does anyone know how to change the bite point adjustment? I've read on Magura's site that you should be able to do it on the fly, but I haven't found how.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest

MTBR Member
    You can check out the complete manual here: MT4*| MAGURA

In the photo, the BAT adj is circled on the left hand side. I would assume that the torx bolt next to it, would be the lever reach adjust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MT4 travel question-b1aaf1ec8e.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thank you! I'll adjust the bat and if that doesn't do anything I'll ask the shop to bleed the brakes.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the Helton this thread.

Thekarens, Let me know if you need more advice or help.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by judemonica View Post
    Thanks for the Helton this thread.

Thekarens, Let me know if you need more advice or help.
    Thanks Jude, I've been real happy with the brakes. They work great, just seems like a lot of travel on the rear brakes as opposed to the front.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest

Jun 2004
    Great to hear.

When the brakes were installed and the lines shortened, were they bled then or not?

Also, I would check to make sure there isn't a sticky piston in the caliper.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by judemonica View Post
    Great to hear.

When the brakes were installed and the lines shortened, were they bled then or not?

Also, I would check to make sure there isn't a sticky piston in the caliper.
    I'll be honest, I have no idea. The bike came with Avids and within a week I knew I was getting rid of them. The shop manager/wrench races xc and uses the MT-8s and loves them, so recommended the 4s since they were in my price range. He installed them at no charge.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest

Jun 2004
    Great! Let me know how I can help.

Thank that wrench and shop for me!!
    Jude