Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Moving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)

I've got a set of early 90's cantilever brakes that I'm trying to move over to a '94 Barracuda A2E frame. The challenge I'm faced with is that the rear pivot fitting is designed to be mounted rather than floating. The Barracuda frame just has a hole in the center of the round cross-tube vs. the old frame which had a raised, threaded bung welded onto the square cross-tube. Just wondering if anyone has used this type of setup on one of these frames and how they did it. Here's some pics of the hardware I'm trying to use, as it was mounted on my Crestone Peak VO2Max frame (which cracked).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You need a: hanging(from the existing seat clamp) cablestop, a straddle cable and yoke. Any older LBS should have these lying around somewhere, or they can be ordered new for a few dollars. From the corroded appearance of the cables, I would also suggest new cables and housings.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    You need a: hanging(from the existing seat clamp) cablestop, a straddle cable and yoke.
    Great, thanks. By any chance does this brazed-on fitting do anything for me?

Moving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)-p8132794.jpg

mtbr member
    This is probably something that might work. If not, it's kind of the concept you'll need to get the brakes to work without some kind of current cable stop.

Funky Monkey Rear from Paul Component Engineering

Good luck, let us know what you work out. I love these kinds of projects.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Why not just go center-pull cantilever?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    This is probably something that might work. If not, it's kind of the concept you'll need to get the brakes to work without some kind of current cable stop.

Funky Monkey Rear from Paul Component Engineering
    Nice, but it's kinda hard to justify spending $50 for a part on a frame that cost me $30. I'm thinking something like this might do the trick for $2....

Name:  BKPT1034.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  46.1 KB

Here's a slighty more upscale version for ~$5...

Moving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)-12535__86426.1375882593.1280.1280.jpg

Or maybe the Surly version for $10...

Moving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)-surly-cable-hanger-zoom.jpg

Any thoughts on which one to go with?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The top one is what I would go with, or running the rear housing through the braze-on eyelet would work as well, however the cable stop would be better. Good luck with your build, keep us up to date with photo's.
    Regards

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The top one is what I would go with, or running the rear housing through the braze-on eyelet would work as well
    Thanks for the input but I got a couple recommendations on using the Surly, so that's what I ordered today. I should soon have this turned back into a functional bike - looking forward to the first ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surly-cable-hanger-zoom.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	823551

Okay, all my parts arrived yesterday and I'm trying to figure this out with the Surly hanger. The part that is confusing me is the lack of a rear cable stop on the Barracuda, so you can't run a typical short housing that would go in place between the rear cable stop and the Surly hanger. Do I just run a long length of housing between the back side of the front cable stop and the Surly hanger? That seems like the only reasonable solution. Maybe put a zip-tie around it on the front so that it's got a little more of a positive fitment?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm not sure why your new frame lacks a top tube rear cable stop, but by all means a zip tie will work well. Let's see photo's when it's finished.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm not sure why your new frame lacks a top tube rear cable stop
    It was a bad design on the early Barracudas, fixed on the later ones. I just cut a housing the full length from the back side of the front cable stop all the way to the Surly hanger. Now that it's in place, I could probably do without zip-tieing it at all, but I probably will any way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Greetings Again;
    Interlock Housing Stops, from Universal Cycles.com would be much cleaner, and more professional.
    Regards

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Interlock Housing Stops, from Universal Cycles.com would be much cleaner, and more professional.
    Thanks, but my solution seems to be working, and in this case, good enough is indeed good enough....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Great looking bike, you did an amazing build, enjoy!!!!
    Regards

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Great looking bike, you did an amazing build, enjoy!!!!
    Thanks. Still in need of some tweaks and adjustments, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Great looking bike, turned out well.

2 suggestions if you want more rear brake power, the straighter (or shorter) you get the straddle cable the more leverage you get on the cantilevers, it's a dramatic difference but you've got to balance tire clearance.

The second, since you've got a full run of cable housing from lever to brake you'll get snappier response from 5mm shifter cable housing (compressionless), also a pretty noticeable difference.

Purple powerstraps - YES!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously_tho View Post
    2 suggestions if you want more rear brake power, the straighter (or shorter) you get the straddle cable the more leverage you get on the cantilevers, it's a dramatic difference but you've got to balance tire clearance.
    Thanks for this tip. I was totally wondering how to best set this up, and you've now answered that question. Since I built this bike to be "hyrbrid-ish", it won't ever see knobby tires; that should enable me to get the straddle cable closer to flat.

Purple powerstraps - YES!
    LOL! When I first built the Crestone Peak frame with these purple components back in the mid-90's, I just kept going with the "everything purple" look. I think I like them even better against the black frame.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    Great, thanks. By any chance does this brazed-on fitting do anything for me?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8132794.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	823427
    The braze on is a guide for the bare cable. Use housing to the front stop and then just the cable all the way to the brake.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The only thing missing are purple QR's on the wheels & post clamp. I may have some laying around somewhere...

mtbr member
    Wow, great looking build! Love the old school fork and other bits and pieces. Great job!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The only thing missing are purple QR's on the wheels & post clamp. I may have some laying around somewhere...
    I'd be more than happy to liberate them from your cold, dark basement!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Wow, great looking build! Love the old school fork and other bits and pieces. Great job!!
    Thanks. I considered selling the AMP fork and keeping this a low-buck build, but I've owned it for 20 years, so I've gotten rather attached to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The bad news - most of these are Ti & I get the sense you're trying to keep this thing cheap.

Moving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)-img_0405_zps14da4485.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Better - get this set, $12 shipped, can't beat that.

MTB Quick Release Axle Skewer Seat Binder SET Purple | eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Better - get this set, $12 shipped, can't beat that.
    Thanks. But perhaps I should turn my brain on and realize that I already have a set of these!

Now installed - new pics!

Moving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)-barracuda-sept2-1.jpgMoving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)-barracuda-sept2-2.jpgMoving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)-barracuda-sept2-3.jpgMoving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)-barracuda-sept2-4.jpgMoving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)-barracuda-sept2-5.jpgMoving early 90's cantilver brakes to a new frame (Barracuda A2E)-barracuda-sept2-6.jpg

Thanks for the inadvertent reminder!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast