mtbr member

Move Avid probs. - Litespeed rear adapter?

Now that my Avids have stopped squeeling (for at least one ride), I have another question:

Has anyone put Avid mechs on the rear of a Litespeed that was a year too old for disc brake tabs? My husband's bike is a 2001 or 2002 ( I forget) Tanasi that had holes drilled for an adapter. Litespeed sent him a "thingy" that bolts on the frame. He had them installed on last Thursday (Chris King Hubs that had been sent back to CK to be made disc compatible). It ghost shifted like mad...as if the rear wheel wasn't in the drop outs properly. He took it back to the shop where they gave him a super heavy-duty rear skewer and tightened the hell out of it. It's better now, but he still has some ghost shifting.

Any ideas ? Thanks. (we seem to be the only people in the world who make Avid mechs a difficult upgrade)

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Now that my Avids have stopped squeeling (for at least one ride), I have another question:

Has anyone put Avid mechs on the rear of a Litespeed that was a year too old for disc brake tabs? My husband's bike is a 2001 or 2002 ( I forget) Tanasi that had holes drilled for an adapter. Litespeed sent him a "thingy" that bolts on the frame. He had them installed on last Thursday (Chris King Hubs that had been sent back to CK to be made disc compatible). It ghost shifted like mad...as if the rear wheel wasn't in the drop outs properly. He took it back to the shop where they gave him a super heavy-duty rear skewer and tightened the hell out of it. It's better now, but he still has some ghost shifting.

Any ideas ? Thanks. (we seem to be the only people in the world who make Avid mechs a difficult upgrade)
    Did you have your gears adjusted? If you had to have the wheel rebuilt its possible that it got out of dish(meaning each side isn't the same distance from the rim to the hub).
    My guess is that the rear derailleur just needs adjusting.

Bodhisattva

Not the adaptor...

I can't see why the adaptor should cause ghost shifting.

A few years ago I used the Litespeed disc adaptor on my Unicoi and had no problems whatsoever.

The ghost shifting is more likely due to a rear deraileur issue. It's possibly related to the CK rebuild but less likely. CK uses a ton of grease and it takes a few rides for it to purge and loosen up. It can cause chainsuck but I guess ghost shifting is also possible.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Hmm. He had already called Litespeed and they said they had no reported problems with it either. The rear d. worked perfectly prior to the new set-up. He thought it might be out of dish, but the shop says it was *almost* right, they tinkered with it a bit after the last time he rode it.

Does it make sense that the new heavy duty skewer tightened to hell would have improved it 75% if it were a hub or rear d. prob? Husband weighs 240 and mashes huge gears...could that be why the set-up works OK for others, not for him? Thanks again for your input, sorry I cannot be more precise in the description of the problem.

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    Rear mech adjustment needed, definitely. It's not the adapter. CK would have had to replace the hub shell, and probably didn't get the axle back in exactly the same location it was in before the rebuild. That would mean that your husband's cassette is either farther in or farther out, by just a touch.

Tightening the skewer all to hell would help a bit, but it's not the fix needed. Wheel dish isn't the issue either, that would only affect the rim, not the hub or gears.

Just have the rear derailleur adjusted properly, that's all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Something to watch for....

Your having said that "the new heavy duty skewer tightened to hell" made the problem almost go away makes me think that the hub axle is shifting in the dropouts, either under the load of huge gear mashing, or the disc braking. That will cause the cassette to become mis-aligned with the chainline, and can easily cause ghost shifting. If those dropouts are 6/4 ti, they are much, much harder material than any of the other parts involved, and it will take a lot of skewer tension to hold that axle secure under a 240 lb'er. Might want to look into a bolt-on skewer; higher tensions are more easily achieved.

The wheel dish has nothing to do with the problems you are describing; if the shop thinks so, it's time for a new shop.

Hairshirt Rider

Also check for a loose cassette lock ring

If the lockring is not tightened properly, the cassette can shift ever so slightly on the freehub body and cause the symptom you describe.
    Last edited by Loudpawlz; 02-25-2004 at 07:03 AM. Reason: more info

mtbr member
    yeah, he says that's definately the problem, won't stay in the drop outs. Ghost shifting merely a symptom of that. Thanks for the bolt-on suggestiong.