Dirt Huffer

IS mount on Avid Elixirs isn't tall enough!?

Just started to install my 185mm Avid Elixirs on the rear of my '03 Trek 8500 and found that the rear mount isn't tall enough to install the caliper onto. I need something a little taller but am having trouble finding any specs/size measurements about mounts on google or the search function on this site. I really dont know where to go as Avids customer service is impossible to find.

[SIZE="6"]Nevermind. I mixed up the back bracket with the front. [/SIZE]
    Last edited by AC/BC; 04-24-2009 at 03:26 PM.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Did you order this brakeset as a rear IS 185mm rotor kit? If so, it should have come with a 185 rear IS mount, and your Elixir should bolt right up to the mount with proper rotor engagement. The mount should even have 185 etched on it, with an arrow pointing to the front. The rear mounts aren't usually too confusing as "most" everything is still IS. The fronts are the ones that can get confusing sometimes if don't deal with them very often. If your caliper mount has 185 stamped on it...and it's not a front mount...it should fit your bike. Are you sure you have the mount oriented correctly?

Edit: One other thing...you are using the little alignment hardware bits between the caliper and the mount, aren't you? It's referred to as CPS.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC
    Just started to install my 185mm Avid Elixirs on the rear of my '03 Trek 8500 and found that the rear mount isn't tall enough to install the caliper onto. I need something a little taller but am having trouble finding any specs/size measurements about mounts on google or the search function on this site. I really dont know where to go as Avids customer service is impossible to find.
    Possibilities:

1. You have a front 185 mount

2. The mount is on the caliper backwards

3. The CPS washer stack is missing
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Like they mentioned above; make sure it's not the front mount, you can see the pictures of the different mounts in the User Manual if it's not marked. It should be easy to see the difference between the front and rear 185 mounts by comparing to the pictures.

What It Be ?
    Don't know if your bike came with disc's or v-brakes. I had my 8500 build up with v-brakes when I got my frame warentee. The bike shop had to order a disc brake bracket to get them to fit right.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    Don't know if your bike came with disc's or v-brakes. I had my 8500 build up with v-brakes when I got my frame warentee. The bike shop had to order a disc brake bracket to get them to fit right.
    All of the Elixirs we've ordered through the shop and QBP, our supplier, had to specify whether IS or post mount fork, IS rear frame mount, and rotor size. The kits came with caliper mount, rotor, and brakeset.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    Good point. It has been a while since we have had to address the Trek/Fisher/Klein bolt-on disc mount issue. If this was a factory rim-brake bike it could need the disc mount to be added, which are becoming rare.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common