Thread: Motolite Noodle

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Motolite Noodle

First off I am a novice with rim brakes......at least since I was 12 or so. I tried to search for this and and did not find anything so I am sorry if this is a redundant topic.

I have a set of Motolites and am having a little difficulty with the connection between the front cable housing and the noodle. I am not sure what the intended type of ferrule is supposed to fit in the noodle or if the housing itself is supposed to be inserted but either way is not effective. I have Jagwire Road Pro set and with the supplied ferrule it will not fit in the noodle and without it is loose and sloppy. The photos I have seen show a ferrule that seems to fit in very nicely. Is there a known set of housing or a specific ferrule that fits these nicely? I tried to build up some thickness on the housing with electrical tape but in the end bent the seemingly very soft noodle end. Is there a replacement noodle that would work well with these brakes? These things would be perfect with a better noodle and/or optional adjuster for those using drop bars.

mtbr member
    Does the motolite noodle not have a section the brake housing fits into? It's common for the ferrule to not fit into the top end of the noodle, depending on size of housing w/ ferrule. You can also get stepped/step down ferrules. I usually just run it sans the ferrule into the noodle, like on the right of this pic. Image from this page

Motolite Noodle-motolitenoodles.jpg
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter View Post
    Does the motolite noodle not have a section the brake housing fits into? It's common for the ferrule to not fit into the top end of the noodle, depending on size of housing w/ ferrule. You can also get stepped/step down ferrules. I usually just run it sans the ferrule into the noodle, like on the right of this pic. Image from this page

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MotoliteNoodles.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	799020
    Yes, it does but the fit is not snug enough to keep it from slopping (for lack of a better term) around in it. It works fine for my rear brake but up front where I have drop bars and a relatively short run of cable with little play available it has deformed the noodle entrance quite a bit. Most pictures I find show a nice fit between the housing and the noodle while mine is quite loose. I have ordered a variety of noodles to see if I can get a better angle and fit.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It seems the issue is just that Jagwire ferrules are thicker than the bulk versions. The LBS gave me a few and they fit correctly.