mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Moto style brake levers?

I need new brakes and run my levers motostyle (right = front). I currently run Hayes 9 and the levers are reversible/flippable so I don't have to do any major mods (bleeding, swapping cables, etc.). I'm looking to purchase another high quality(excellent modulation) complete brake system that are reversible for motostyle out of the box. Does anyone have any recommendations ???

Thanks!!!

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Buy them from the UK and they're already set-up that way

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Any brakes that can be flipped and used on either side of the bars. Looking for quality brakes for all-mountain, technical singletrack, downhill, trials, riding. Something more durable, reliable than cross country. Any advice is much appreciated!!! Thx!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Couldn't you just mount it on the opposite side of the bars?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Formula brakes are easily reversed, just switch sides. I also run ALL my bikes moto style (road bike also),cause that's where I come from. BTW, the formulas give the feel and feedback as a BREMBO Monoblock set-up. Pricey but worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    "Couldn't you just mount it on the opposite side of the bars? "

This is my question! I haven't researched this too much yet but, will all brakes operate properly if flipped upside down. Also, won't the graphics/text be on the bottom if flipped to other side? I know my Hayes 9 were reverseable and the text was on top and bottom. It's a mirrored image on both top and bottom!!! I'm not sure if Shimano's or other brand brakes are designed to be mounted on either side and function and look correct??

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm sure they could, I don't see any reason why they can't be. I may not know but if it's a closed hydro system line it shouldn't matter how the lever is oriented... Try it out and see it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to switch sides.

mtbr member
    Buy from Chain reaction, free postal charges. Choose the side you mount your brakes.

mtbr member
    Avid brakes are reversible without any effort. But...I just swapped my Avid CR's for a set of '12 XT brakes and LOVE THEM! I run moto so had to switch the cables, but just unscrewed them from the levers, cut the cable to the length I wanted and put them back together. No bleeding, pumped them a few times and they're good as gold. I'm way too busy right now to deal with a proper bleed, but after two rides just amazed at how much more I like them v. the Avid's. Not looking for an XT v. Avid debate, but point is, don't make your decision based on having to bleed the brakes. At least with the new Shimano setup, a perfect bleed isn't critical to perfect action.

mg
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks Mark,

I've heard good things about 2012 XT brakes as well. I was unsure if they were reversable without disassembly but it doesn't sound like a big deal to swap cables and bleed if necessary. I'm leaning toward '12 XT's or the Formula RX which are flip/flop style without disassembly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My Hope Moto's are pretty Moto:

mtbr member
    I would recommend buying a brake for its performance, not because its levers can be flipped.....

It is so easy to disconnect the brake line from one master cylinder and reconnect it to the other. If you have the mechanical ability to buy a new set of brakes and install them yourself you can easily do that task as well (and the satisfaction you get from doing it is nice as well!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    "I would recommend buying a brake for its performance, not because its levers can be flipped....."

I agree totally!!! With that being said and now knowing you can just swap the cables at the master cylinder that's what I'll be doing. Do you usually have to bleed them after doing this? Is there a proper way of swapping cables so that bleeding isn't necessary? I know someone posted above and said they didn't have to. I'm sure I can bleed them but never have messed with bleeding brakes before.

Any recommendations for brakes with the best modulation and control. I'm a motorcycle trials rider who loves doing front end stoppies, wheelies, and riding the most technical, hilly, terrain out there. Really just looking for a good all around, all-mountain, reliable brake that will hold up and work consistently. Thanks for the replies!!

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruitr1 View Post

I agree totally!!! With that being said and now knowing you can just swap the cables at the master cylinder that's what I'll be doing. Do you usually have to bleed them after doing this?
    You don't always have to bleed them - if you do it really carefully, without letting any fluid drip out the line and without getting any air bubbles in the line... on a full moon and using only wooden tools.....

....in other words, yes, you should bleed them after switching the line around.

Most likely, you will have to shorten the lines anyways to fit your bike properly, and after that you'll need to bleed them anyhow.
    This is fairly easy to do on most brakes, instruction videos can be found on youtube.

I'd generally recommend the newer Shimano brakes. They are powerful, easy to work on and reliable, while still being affordable. The 2012 Saints are great, so are the XTs or SLX.

Actually, there aren't really many "lemons" any more, no matter what brand. Just stay away from ultra light weight wheenie brakes, and also avoid the cheapest models, and you'll be fine.

I'm sure they could, I don't see any reason why they can't be. I may not know but if it's a closed hydro system line it shouldn't matter how the lever is oriented..
    It is NOT a closed hydro system on most brakes. There is a reservoir, and unless the reservoir is specifically reversible (such as on Avid brakes), turning it upside down will cause problems. At the very least, you will be more likely to get air into your lines. Mount the levers the right way up and just switch the lines.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs