mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Moto brakes with discs

I have thought about switching to moto brakes (front on the right and rear on the left). I have the XT dual control where the brake line comes straight out the end. Having the front brake on the right side would give a much better brake line routing instead of having to do a 180 and then down. How many people run moto brakes? My only concern is that sometimes when I try to downshift multiple gears in the back, I wind up pulling in slightly on the lever and engaging the brakes. I am not to keen on the idea of unexpected front brake hits.

Ted

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I run MOTO brakes on my bike. I ride motorcycles when I'm not on the mountain bike and find it easier to have the front brake on the right. Took a little while to get used to, but I never went over the bars during that time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run mine moto style too, actually I have never owned a bike that I didn't change over..... too dangerous for me to ride with them the other way now LOL
    Pat T.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I do not call it "moto". Never owned a motorcycle. I do run my brakes right-front.

There are many, many, MANY, MANY, [size=3]MANY[/size] threads about this on the board. Do a search.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Baby Bear is in the house

right hand-front here

Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    I have thought about switching to moto brakes (front on the right and rear on the left). I have the XT dual control where the brake line comes straight out the end. Having the front brake on the right side would give a much better brake line routing instead of having to do a 180 and then down. How many people run moto brakes?

Ted
    I moved to right hand-front on my new bike with Avid mech discs. I like the idea that my dominant hand is actuating the more powerful brake [60-70% of braking force if I'm not mistaken]. Although actuating both brakes simultaneously is ideal, I like being able to shift with my right [using Gripshift] while braking with just the rear [say, slowing down for an uphill switchback].

Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    My only concern is that sometimes when I try to downshift multiple gears in the back, I wind up pulling in slightly on the lever and engaging the brakes. I am not to keen on the idea of unexpected front brake hits.

Ted
    ...a reason why so many don't like the integrated brake-shifter system
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    ...I like being able to shift with my right [using Gripshift] while braking with just the rear [say, slowing down for an uphill switchback]..:
    You have to brake for uphill switchbacks?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat T.
    I run mine moto style too, actually I have never owned a bike that I didn't change over..... too dangerous for me to ride with them the other way now LOL
    Meee too. Wouldn't have it any other way. I have this compelling need to blow snot-rockets (I use my right index finger eh) without risking a Superman-like flight.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You have to brake for uphill switchbacks?
    I should've been more specific.

I meant approaching a sharp switchback transitioning from flat to uphill. I can't possibly make that sharp of a turn without first slowing down.

Another case would be braking to slow down at a stoplight and downshifting in preparation for the green light.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.