Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Most Powerful Brakes

Hey Guys
    Ive got a Giant Glory which i use for DH. The stock brakes are 2008 avid juicy 5's.
    So far ive had a few problems with the brakes. They need regular bleeding dont seem to have the bite that im after, even with EBC red pads.

Im now wanting to get a more powerful brake set (mainly for the front)
    What i really want to know is what would be the best brake to go with. Normally im weight concerned but i would rather stop properly than have a light bike.
    Im interested in the Avid Codes, the New saints, and maybe some Hopes.

So what would be my best bet. I want power. and reliability no matter the weight.

I hope you guys can help
    Cheers
    Brent

ballbuster

Define 'best'

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Fusious
    Hey Guys
    Ive got a Giant Glory which i use for DH. The stock brakes are 2008 avid juicy 5's.
    So far ive had a few problems with the brakes. They need regular bleeding dont seem to have the bite that im after, even with EBC red pads.

Im now wanting to get a more powerful brake set (mainly for the front)
    What i really want to know is what would be the best brake to go with. Normally im weight concerned but i would rather stop properly than have a light bike.
    Im interested in the Avid Codes, the New saints, and maybe some Hopes.

So what would be my best bet. I want power. and reliability no matter the weight.

I hope you guys can help
    Cheers
    Brent
    .... Cause somebody makes an 8 piston with a 220mm rotor IIRC. On paper, that looks like the most powerful brake I can imagine for a mountain bike. Weather you would actually want it on your bike is another story. Sounds like throwing a 2" stick in your front wheel.

I would have to say Hope Mini M6 would probably be as good as it gets for hard clamping binders, but IIRC they stopped making them this year.

I had a 4 pot Shimano XT brake, and that was pretty crazy strong, even with a 160mm rotor...and still had good modulation. The new Saints are a similar format with 4 pistons. I'm going to venture that is your best bet paired up wtih a big rotor.... although I have not tried the new Saints myself.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Gustavs

ONEs or MEGAs

Saints

No experience with the Hopes, so can't comment, tho I hear they are super.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

The plough
    Gatorbrake makes that monster 8 piston brake system.

We are testing it now on a Specialized Demo 9. Still a while to go before we can write the review but this is the feedback so far (the limited other feedback online on them is not very positive, but our experience differs so far).

- excellent lever feel
    - no sponginess at all - the Juicy 5 is a noodle compared to it
    - excellent modulation
    - adequate absolute power ie. you can stop
    - looks great

The assumed benefits that we have not tested yet would be that these brakes would not suffer much from brake fade or anything heat related due to their massive size.

The brake that I can say is vastly superior to the Juicy 5 for DH use where weight is not the primary concern are the Gatorbrake 6 piston that we did finish reviewing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Another vote for the hope M6. Do think they're overkill though.

My nomad came with juicy 3's, upgraded to the 5's then on to the hpe M4's. Had too many problems with fade on the juicies on very long downhills. When swapping to M4's also upgraded fronts to 203mm

Custom User Title
    I have a set of M6's that I might part with.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would go with Hope Moto V2s, Formula THE ONE or MEGA.

You can get more "power" from Hope M6's, but I find the power easier to control on the Moto V2.

mtbr member
    The M4s and the V2 brakes are both great for that area of riding...

or you could go something extreme like this, he he he...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I know I'm going to get killed for saying this..... but my 203mm BB7s with speed dial levers will easily send me over the bars with a fairly easy two finger pull. I'm sure if I wanted to, I could endo with one finger with a little effort.

mtbr member

Custom brake system

To the OP. I have Shimano XT BL-M755 4 piston calipers with XTR M975 levers on my bike and they are AWESOME. If you have any interest in a set up like this I have the means to make it happen.

This is a custom system and has proven to be very powerful, with great modulation, and good lever feel.

PM me with interest.

Cheers,
    BFE
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I have no idea why you have a 4 pot brake set up on a HT SSpeed/Rolhof hub...? Thats too much brake for that bike and set up...!?

Your bikes stays have not been reinforced to support that kind of brake force, so under harsh braking, sqeeling, and trail chatter or bumps small jumps etc etc that may put stress on that area, you also may infact damage your bike...?

But then again, this special set up you talk about may inhibit that...?

Underskilled
    Hi,

I use Formula the One brakes.
    When I pull hard on the front, the fork visibly bends under the bike.
    It's a top of the time AM fork, WB Fluid 135.

Only problem I have is they seem to want a fatter rotor than I have.

Does anyone have any advice, I hear the Hope moto V2 rotor might be the right size, anyone had any experience?

Thanks

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidsy
    I would go with Hope Moto V2s, Formula THE ONE or MEGA.

You can get more "power" from Hope M6's, but I find the power easier to control on the Moto V2.
    Incorrect. The V2 is the most powerful brake in Hope's lineup, with approximately 20% more braking power than the M6, according to them. It also is one of the, if not THE most powerful brake made to this day. It was even ranked in some of those German tests where they actually quantify the braking force.

Also of note- the V2 is replacing the M6 completely and an enhanced M4 is somewhat filling the gap left.

Another vote for the V2. They are made also to resist fading and thus far, I have not even gotten the lever to pump up in the slightest, intentionally dragging the brake to try and fade it down a mountain.

≈ > ♥
    Another vote for the Hope Moto V2. It's way more powerful than my 6 Ti's, but doesn't modulate as nicely.
    --> Both powerful, both modulate nicely, but the V2 ramps up and bites quicker.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hope Moto V2,

with out a doubt
    tried the vented hated it, floating is perfect, locks up fine, just as powerful as the 6 pot and nice feel from lever, as i work in this trade found out that the 6 pots are now being layed off by hope, they said that they are over kill now weigh too much and the v2 is lighter and as powerful if not more than the 6 pot!

cant complain from my V2 at all

banned
    why did you hate the vented?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    well i had 2 sets front and rear and well lets say they are suppose to stop heat? sorry reduce by 15% it wasnt that it done nothing at all! made them go spongy sent them back to hope they said the pads were fine and rotors had no issues but supplied new ones, hope (no pun intended) they go well so i put them back on the bike gave them a go down hill and these just didnt want to no either no bite no feeling but the floating is total opposite cannot get better both me and a few guys from other stores i work at agree and had the same issues so thats my personal experience wouldnt go near the vented but tryit first dont take my word as being correct all the time

banned
    I just couldn't follow that. I'm sorry. I don't ordinarily do this, but I really want to know what happened, and I just can't understand you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Wink

hey
    dont worry..

well basically i have a V2 front and rear on my ironhorse sunday...

started out with the vented option and the wouldnt lock up and gave me a really nasty feel through the lever.

sent them back to hope being unhappy with them, they said the pads were fine (even though they replaced the free of charge) and the rotors seemed ok too but again replaced them to see if my problems were solved.

got the new pads and rotors back with the brake, put them on and this time it was worse just wouldnt really perform right. no feel there didnt feel good so i said could i try some floating rotors and they kindly sent some out to me and ever since then they have been powerful and so strong better than the 6pot i had before from them!

now i get to endo.. skid how i like, and actually able to brake in progression if i want or lock up instant sucha great brake with the floating rotor even put a front on my XC! over kill maybe but works better than anything i had before hope ya understand this 1

mtbr member
    I have both the Magura Gustav and the Hope Mono 6. The Gustav trumps the Mono 6 in terms of power while the Mono 6 has better modulation than the Gustav.

The Gustav is a bit heavier than the Mono 6 and uses a 210mm front rotor and 190mm rear rotor while the Mono 6 uses same sized 203mm rotors. The Gustav has a fixed rotor and 2 piston monoblock sliding caliper and it uses mineral oil. The Hope has floating rotors, 6 piston monoblock fixed calipers with DOT 4/5 fluid. My Gustav have standard brake lines while my Mono 6 have steel braided lines. Both brakes have excellent quality but the Hope seems to have more bling. I like the Hope's lever feel over the Gustav.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Dude, you're smokin' it. That is the biggest line of.........

I'm 6'6" tall and 210#. I am running 160mm rotors f/r. There is no undo stress on my frame. give me a break. These 4 piston brakes are not specific to big hit downhill bikes.

If you want to go flame someone go to the political forum and flame on.

I have no idea why you are talking out of your a$$, but get off my back!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    I have no idea why you have a 4 pot brake set up on a HT SSpeed/Rolhof hub...? Thats too much brake for that bike and set up...!?

Your bikes stays have not been reinforced to support that kind of brake force, so under harsh braking, sqeeling, and trail chatter or bumps small jumps etc etc that may put stress on that area, you also may infact damage your bike...?

But then again, this special set up you talk about may inhibit that...?

mtbr member
    Wow...where did that come from...? I am actually surprised at your reply son.

Although I think YOU are the troll buddy.... I mean WHY else did you react so aggressively and arrogantly to my post. Or, have you come to the bewildering conclusion that people on this thread are disallowed to express their ideas and opinions about your bike, you and your set up...?

Now, I was not on your back...neither was I insulting you nor your apparent NEW design set up for your bike. You could drop off your simple existence tomorrow and I would not give you a second thought...so why the sudden misunderstanding.

I simply made a statement and gave you very simple justification as to why I think that...SO...how am I flaming you...? Was I somehow mysteriously insulting you? Can you point that out please...?
    The biggest line of....
    I am not here to give you any kind sh!t that you imagine I am apparently giving you. I simply replied to your post and if you cant deal with that simple fact that perhaps you should not post on this or any forum for that matter, because that is what tends to happen on threads you know. People post and others comment...you know, making conversation and exchanging ideas. Im sorry...did your last post express any ideas...?

Now you owe me an apology thank you very much. I never insulted you...and I did not give you any reason to insult me.

If you can not handle someone talking about your post, your ideas or any part of your frothing statements, then you should not really be here. Anyone on this thread has the right to say as they please about anything you post as long as it is not insulting you or degrading you.
    Or do you need to read the forum rules again...?

1) Dude, you're smokin' it. That is the biggest line of.........
    2) I'm 6'6" tall and 210#. I am running 160mm rotors f/r. There is no undo stress on my frame. give me a break. 3) These 4 piston brakes are not specific to big hit downhill bikes.
    4) If you want to go flame someone go to the political forum and flame on.
    5) I have no idea why you are talking out of your a$$, but get off my back!!
    Let us now look at the waist of time BS you just wrote down, point by point so its easy to follow.

1) Dude, you're smokin' it. That is the biggest line of.........
    How that the biggest line...? Please explain your answer with some slight level of articulation. I expressed my opinion and backed it up slightly with why...what did you do?

2) I'm 6'6" tall and 210#. I am running 160mm rotors f/r.
    And...I am supposed to GUESS this info right. I did not see you post that info anywhere and if you did...well, I did not see it. Either way, that is not any kind of justification for opting for 4pots on an SS that has no area on the frame, which has been reinforced for such a piece of equipment (NOT to say it can't or that people do not do it though)

3) These 4 piston brakes are not specific to big hit downhill bikes.
    Erm...sorry you lost me here...? Did I say that those specific brakes were designed ONLY for DH did I (?).

4) If you want to go flame someone go to the political forum and flame on.
    Im sorry but I have not been to the political forums yet (not that I remember at any rate) so I would not know if people are flaming on there or not...however, YOU obviously do!!!!

Flame...you mention this quite strongly. Where did I flame you, tell me...?

5) I have no idea why you are talking out of your a$$, but get off my back!!
    Again, I was not ON your back. I dont understand how you came to that thought...? I state an obvious assertion regarding a possible missmatch and you think I am on your back...? Son, you have no idea...IF I WAS ON your back, believe me you WOULD know it. Now I have nothing further to say to you and you are on my blocked list just because I think your an idiot, basically...

On that note, if you wish to have the last word and use your vaunted powers of deduction and type out some insulting BS about me...go ahead, the floor is yours and yours alone.
    [SIZE=4]I do not take part in flame wars or trolls fishing for trouble. [SIZE=2]So this is my last reply to you.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Perhaps you can ACTUALLY make an intelligent response, stick to the topic and help or chat about the current discussion with more appropriateness (if thats a word) than you have so far displayed...?

Apologies to everyone for having to read all this prose-tripe BS.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    [SIZE=1]This reply took 2 mins of waisted time...I could have been riding instead of having some troll ride me up the backside with his superfluouos verbal diareah.[/SIZE]

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Wow...where did that come from...? I am actually surprised at your reply son.
    I think he replied the way he did because you commented negatively on his setup. You reply is even more comical than his.

BTW, that brake is just fine on that frame. Sycip brothers make a solid frame.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

≈ > ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by jme46
    hey
    dont worry..

well basically i have a V2 front and rear on my ironhorse sunday...

started out with the vented option and the wouldnt lock up and gave me a really nasty feel through the lever.

sent them back to hope being unhappy with them, they said the pads were fine (even though they replaced the free of charge) and the rotors seemed ok too but again replaced them to see if my problems were solved.

got the new pads and rotors back with the brake, put them on and this time it was worse just wouldnt really perform right. no feel there didnt feel good so i said could i try some floating rotors and they kindly sent some out to me and ever since then they have been powerful and so strong better than the 6pot i had before from them!

now i get to endo.. skid how i like, and actually able to brake in progression if i want or lock up instant sucha great brake with the floating rotor even put a front on my XC! over kill maybe but works better than anything i had before hope ya understand this 1

Sounds more like you worked an airbubble out of the lines when changing pads/rotors around, than it being a problem w/rotors.

They are both made of the same grade stainless, and offer the same surface area for pad contact. One just has vents, which has no bearing on friction/pad contact.

banned
    I thought the same as well. Even my V2 vented was used and the braking was fine. Two sets of pads, and it's still running strong. Hell, I've even tried dragging them down a long descent and got nothing in terms of fade. They felt identical, beginning to end, although there was definitely more bite when they got hot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast