Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmaybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162

    Most common brake rotor sizes?

    Hi. Can annyone tell me what the most common disk brake rotor sizes are?

    Thanks for your help,
    Trevor

  2. #2
    Gravity Rides Everything
    Reputation: endurowanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaybee
    Hi. Can annyone tell me what the most common disk brake rotor sizes are?

    Thanks for your help,
    Trevor

    6" is probably the most common. Shimano, Hayes, Hope, and magura are all available with 6" rotors.


    8" is pretty much the standard for downhill.

    Make sure you check with manufacturers if you're planning to use a different rotor than your caliper came with.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmaybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    6" is probably the most common. Shimano, Hayes, Hope, and magura are all available with 6" rotors.


    8" is pretty much the standard for downhill.

    Make sure you check with manufacturers if you're planning to use a different rotor than your caliper came with.

    Thanks for your help!

    Trevor

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,848
    6, 7 & 8 inches.

    6 is the most popular for XC and 8 for DH.

  5. #5
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,579
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    6" is probably the most common. Shimano, Hayes, Hope, and magura are all available with 6" rotors.


    8" is pretty much the standard for downhill.

    Make sure you check with manufacturers if you're planning to use a different rotor than your caliper came with.
    except nobody makes a 6" rotor.

    Do the math sometime... 25.4mm to the inch, times six = 152.4mm

    Three most common sizes are 160mm, 180mm and 203mm, followed to lesser degrees by 165mm, 140mm, 163mm, and other oddballs that are pretty much specific to certain brand/model brakes (163mm is Rockshox Front discs for example, and they produced several thousand sets of those - probably tens of thousands).

  6. #6
    Village Idiot
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    except nobody makes a 6" rotor.

    Do the math sometime... 25.4mm to the inch, times six = 152.4mm

    Three most common sizes are 160mm, 180mm and 203mm, followed to lesser degrees by 165mm, 140mm, 163mm, and other oddballs that are pretty much specific to certain brand/model brakes (163mm is Rockshox Front discs for example, and they produced several thousand sets of those - probably tens of thousands).
    Yeah you're definitely right about the rotor sizing. Unfortunately, most people incorrectly say a 160mm is a 6 inch rotor, probably because a 203mm is roughly 8 inches, 185mm is pretty close to 7 inches (about 7.28) and then naturally it sounds easiest to say a 160mm is a 6 inch rotor. But when you get technical and try and distinguish between the other oddball by sizes, the 6 inch size description is of no help. There are so many measurements in cycling that annoy me besides this. Like my tensionometer reads in kilograms-force. Or torque specs in units of kilograms-force centimeters. What the heck is that about? What happened to good old Newtons or Newton-meters. Not hard for me to convert, but still stupid. I'm a second-year physics student, so that kind of abuse of units really annoys me. Oh well, so much for uniformality.
    -Ryan

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 11:53 PM
  2. Adaptor for disc brake mouting on forks?
    By dawgcatching in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 12:17 PM
  3. Using rear brake too much?
    By keen in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 12:27 PM
  4. Magura Marta brake drag question
    By dgangi in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 09:42 AM
  5. stripped brake post problem
    By chirider990 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •