mtbr member

More specific XTR v XT questions...

Yup, I've searched, nope- no conclusive answers.
    As far as I have found- the 08 XT disc brakes are thought to be stronger (20% claimed) versus the latest gen XTR. Am I right that this is a result of the lever design (servowave) only? The added strength doesn't come from caliper differences?

Second- The servowave idea goes back a ways w/ the Shimano folks. If I understand it correctly: It is set up for alot piston (or v canti pad) travel early in the lever pull, and short but powerful piston travel as the pads contact the rotor.
    So the question is- at the point of pad/rotor impact do the XT lever putting more PSI down than the XTR levers?

In fact, now that I think of it we could determine what sort of PSI each brkae puts out per pound of lever pull. After that it would get hazier w/ the introduction of pad material and size. Still, it would tell us if a new design was really that different from last years greatest.

Yes. they are dorky questions. This is what our record snow year has done to my brain.
    Thanks.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Meh.
    According to Shimano, the new lever does increase pressure. They had recommended against use with a 755 because of the potential for the seal to fail under the higher pressure.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I'd always heard that all shimano disc levers were compatible w/ all calipers. It'd take a bit but I thought I read it on their site under the tech info. Course, that was before the newest 08 XTs were out. Thanks
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    According to Shimano, the new lever does increase pressure. They had recommended against use with a 755 because of the potential for the seal to fail under the higher pressure.
    interesting..that is a little known fact indeed...I am running the 08 levers with my 765 caliper now too...but it might be an issue with the seals of the 755s (I guess)...

Meh.
    I guess they figured something about age of the caliper... amount of use... all that... I don't know. I know they have been paired successfully to the 765. And there had been a member on the board that was going to match them up to 755s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi johnny chicken bones,

I've copied your question directly and posted it to shimano as i am super concerned abt what you asked too

guess wat,... and they replied me

Hi Kk,

Thanks for your inquiry. You are correct in all of your comments. The 20% boost in power is dueto the ServoWave brake lever design. Just like the original ServoWave,you get a lot of pad travel early in the stroke, then short travel +high leverage as you pass through the stroke. Use of ServoWave brakelevers (like XT) will result in more clamping pressure at the pad, butI don't have a PSI figure. Yes, XT08 ServoWave levers are 100%compatible with XTR M975 calipers.

Best regards,
    Greg

Cheers,
    KK