mtbr member
    Jan 2007

More '08 xt questions

I'm considering replacing the J7s on my Rize with some Shimano xt's I've already got for better feel and stopping power. I've got all the individual parts, not the pre-bled kit. I plan on starting out with the same 160mm rotors (G2, consensus seems to be that they will work).

However, Can I use the avid IS adapters or maybe even Hayes? Trying not to have to buy more if I can.

Also, does anyone know of a good guide to setting up these brakes? There are a million threads to sift through on here, and these are supposed to be relatively challenging to set up compared to other brakes I've heard.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The adapters work fine other than Avid 7" Avid uses a 185MM rotor where Shimano and Hayes use a 180(178). Setting up Shimano brakes is relativly easy, the guide is on the web at bike.shimano.com.

Eat More Dirt
    Shimano brakes are not to bad to set up, you should check out Shimano's site for some help. Give your adapters a shot, but I have never had good luck interchanging adapters and calipers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    anyone else? this will be my first foray into bleeding/installing hydraulic brakes. I've spent plenty of time working on bikes though, so I don't think it will be too much of an issue. Any good general guides online? thanks

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    anyone else? this will be my first foray into bleeding/installing hydraulic brakes. I've spent plenty of time working on bikes though, so I don't think it will be too much of an issue. Any good general guides online? thanks
    Shimanos are super easy to bleed. Fresh, sharp knife (box cutter) to shorten the lines. Read the instructions twice then go for it. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    what about Park Cable/housing cutters?

EDR

if you have them you could give them a try but they are not needed. A box cutter with a new blade works nicely. Just have the line pulled taught (sp?) and slice it in one quick motion.

Now, in a couple months when you have a sticky piston on each of your calipers get back to me with a fix on that...so far I've had no luck and it seems to be a common theme with the 08 xt's from what I read here.

AW_
    locked - time out
    I suppose you could use a hatchet too if you really want.

I'd recommend using whatever tool you think will provide the cleanest and most precise cut on the material.

Based on my experience, you cannot beat a razor blade / box cutter / sharp knife for this task on Shimano hydro hoses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It’s probably just me, but I mistakenly drained out all oil first. Yup, pumped air all the way to make sure the line was empty. Then I found out it would’ve been much easier if I had just continuously drained and replenish the oil without completely draining out the oil . Duh! So I pumped oil back in, for the next hour or so. I also found that the cylinder can burp a little bubble of air out if I extend the brake lever outward. Tap the brake and a whole line. Repeat process until you see no more air coming out. My XT is a fade free happy brake for 1.5 years now.