mtbr member

Mono Mini's or Avid Juicys for my Blur

I am torn between these two brakes (Juicys or Mono Minis). I am 200lbs and have a Blur.

What rotor sizes as well.

Some Assembly Required

Better not order the 203mm Juicys

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    I am torn between these two brakes (Juicys or Mono Minis). I am 200lbs and have a Blur.

What rotor sizes as well.
    Been waiting two months on'em. Had SC ship my Bullit & another w/o Juicys so we could go ahead & build'em up. Still no Juicys, regardless of w/SC says.
    This is an email I got from Scott Turner yesterday.

"We have had the 203mm Avid Juicy's in stock this year, we just sell through them a lot faster than Avid can supply them. I do believe we have received more recently. You can have your dealer call our sales office for all the latest availability info.

Thanks

Scott Turner
    Santa Cruz Bicycles
    Santa Cruz, California
    scott@santacruzbicycles.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    get a set of hope mono m4's at mtnhighcyclery (~400$).
    they are a little heavier than the mono minis and have about the same weight as the avids, but they have way more stopping power than both (you ARE 200lbs.!) and the 4-piston design looks killer

depending on what kind of riding you do and what fork you have, the rotor size choice might be different, but i would guess 180mm rear and 180mm front, possibly 200mm front.

mtbr member
    I'm shopping for my first discs, and was attracted to the Mono Mini's and the Marta SL's, on the basis of weight. The beta I'm getting from my buddies and pros is that the lightwieght XC brakes will overheat under a 200+lb rider, which I am, too.

I've been redirected toward the Avid Juicy's and the Hayes HFX Comp Mag Plus, which both weigh a lot more than the ultra-light stuff, but a lot less than others. Well, the Hayes do...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    @ ebasil:
    the kind of brake you need depends on the kind of riding you do. the lightweight xc-brakes will likely overheat if you do long descents. they will most likely be enough if you do more flattish trails.

being 200lbs.+ AND a weightweenie is a tricky combination. i am ~180lbs. and i would always go for the larger rotor sizes (7" or 8"), and then the brakes naturally weigh more. larger rotors WILL result in more stopping power and less susceptibility to overheating, that is just physics, and when it comes to brakes i do not like to take chances.

i do not know the avids personally, but i would recommend you to take the hayes mags with 8" rotors (you can get them for 260$ w/o the carbon levers) or take the hope mono m4's if you are a conoisseur of nice cnc-machining.

mtbr member

185lb weight wennie here and I've never had an overheating problem

I race XC, so courses range anywhere from flat to some long steep ski slope type decents.
    I have used Hope C2's, XC4's, Formula B4SL's, B4 plus (current brakes) and Hope Mono Minis (still new in the box). I have always run the smaller sized rotors and my Formulas are using the 165/145 rotors and the Mono's I have are 160/140 rotors. I have never had any problems with fading brakes nor over heating.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    I'm shopping for my first discs, and was attracted to the Mono Mini's and the Marta SL's, on the basis of weight. The beta I'm getting from my buddies and pros is that the lightwieght XC brakes will overheat under a 200+lb rider, which I am, too.

I've been redirected toward the Avid Juicy's and the Hayes HFX Comp Mag Plus, which both weigh a lot more than the ultra-light stuff, but a lot less than others. Well, the Hayes do...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dude I bet you could use the Marta's. I want a set myself to lose some weight over my Avid mechanicals. But if I are looking for the best disc brake out there, I'll bet you will be hearing AVID JUICY'S all summer long. MB Action just reviewed them and luv em. The adjustable contact point and the caliper positioning system (like the mechanicals) makes for hassle free centering of the caliper over the rotor. 859 grams complete f & r set.

Wayno

mtbr member
    I just finished buidling my SC Blur and I went with the Magura Martas and they are great. As far as stopping power and modulation the performance is great. I do a lot of climbing and long rocky technical singletrack descents and don't get tired from pulling on the brakes like I did with my v-brakes. A couple of friends of mine, who weigh over 200# have tried my bike and they also love these brakes and one of them is going to buy them for his Superlight. So if you are just doing normal xc riding I would highly reccomend these brakes as well.