mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Mono Mini lever travel

Hello folks,
    I just installed a new pair of mono minis on the bike the other day and took them out for a 25 mile break in ride in the mud. First impressiona were not good, firstly, they broke in eventually and were fine in the dry but in the wet they howled worse than my old minis. The mounts are faced and the brakes are lined up fine but still they howl. Also, the lever need a lot of travel to engage the brake, were talking about 15-20mm of travel at the lever end before the brakes even start to operate, is this normal with the new minis, my old ones have much less lever travel. Your comments or sdvice would be much appreciated,
    cheers
    martin

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin
    Hello folks,
    I just installed a new pair of mono minis on the bike the other day and took them out for a 25 mile break in ride in the mud. First impressiona were not good, firstly, they broke in eventually and were fine in the dry but in the wet they howled worse than my old minis. The mounts are faced and the brakes are lined up fine but still they howl. Also, the lever need a lot of travel to engage the brake, were talking about 15-20mm of travel at the lever end before the brakes even start to operate, is this normal with the new minis, my old ones have much less lever travel. Your comments or sdvice would be much appreciated,
    cheers
    martin
    To adjust the lever throw, remove the wheels and gently pull the front/rear levers until the pads/pistons move inward slightly, then release. Do not pull too hard. Re-insert the wheel and check for pad-rub. Check the lever throw....it should now be sooner.

As for the howling, I'd recommend thoroughly cleaning the rotors with some rubbing alcohol to remove any contaminates. Howling can be a combination of things and not necessarily the brakes. Frames, wheels, temperature, etc. all factor into the harmonic vibrations that are causing the "system" to resonate....vibrate! Give the pads a few more rides to break-in.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com