Thread: Mono Mini 07

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Mono Mini 07

Hi there.
    You guys know if the older mono mini (with gold bore cab) and the current (silver body black cab) share the same brake pad?

Are there a upgrade from the gold version to the newer one?

I'm thinking of getting the newer black cab model to use with my XTR 160mm rotor.

Any comment?

banned
    Nov 2007
    hi..same pads,any questions call the importer....there located in tx.

...idios...
    The main difference between the gold and the black-capped models is the lever. The silver '07 is lighter and, through an altered clamp design, stiffer. The caliper and pads are the same as the previous (gold-capped) Mono Mini.

The Mono Mini has now been superceded by the Tech X2, which has slightly larger caliper pistons and also uses the new Tech lever.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    The main difference between the gold and the black-capped models is the lever. The silver '07 is lighter and, through an altered clamp design, stiffer. The caliper and pads are the same as the previous (gold-capped) Mono Mini.

The Mono Mini has now been superceded by the Tech X2, which has slightly larger caliper pistons and also uses the new Tech lever.
    steve...Is it worth it to phony up the extra bucks for the tech x-2,and will the tech x-2 use the same pads as the mono mini.Also can you still bleed the x-2 at the lever res.cap on the on the new models or do you have to use the bleed port
    thx.........

...idios...
    I'm not going to be much use to you here, 29er'. I don't know whether or not the Xc uses the same pads as the Mini; and I haven't used the Tech lever, so wouldn't be able to say if it's worth it, although everyone's definition of that tends to vary, anyway. Unless some unseen design flaw is uncovered, I would be confident that the Tech brakes are to the same standard and quality as their previous brakes. I'm a little dubious about these external adjustment dials and about how well they'd fair in a spill, but I presume that this will be less of a consideration in the kind of application the X2 set-up will typically find itself.

As far as bleeding goes, the Tech levers look to do it the same way as the Moto/Mini levers before it: cap off and bleed from the caliper using the lever to pump fluid/air.. It's so simple and so reliable that it would be something of a mistake, in my opinion, to alter the design.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler