mtbr member

Mixing old caliper with new lever

I have complete SLX M665 brakes on my bike. The hose fitting threads on my front brake lever got damaged recently, so I'm wondering if a new SLX M666 (2012, the new 1 finger levers) will work fine on the older M665 caliper.

Looking at the pictures, the M666 caliper uses a threaded pad pin (instead of a cotter pin), a new style pad (in that it has an option for pad heat sinks and that the threaded pin mounts through the middle of the pad instead of at one of the ends), and a banjo hose fitting (instead of a straight fitting). Otherwise I can't see any other a physical differences, though there could quite easily be some mechanical differences (i.e. changes in leverages) that would make mixing these old and new systems inadvisable or flat out impossible/ineffective.

Thoughts? I can probably still order an older M665 lever, but I like the new levers feel and layout a lot more.

My old caliper

New style caliper

The new lever I would like to use

mtbr member
    Shimano says yes, if anyone else was curious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi,
    I was wondering if you did manage to put it together.
    I'm in need of new levers but thought I might as well get the new generation until I realised they use different hoses/connectors.
    Any help will be much appreciated!
    Cheers.
    Nicolas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes, it will work. I'm a mechanic at a shop and called shimano about this, they confirmed it. If i were you I would get the BH90 hose and just snip the banjo fitting off the end. You'll also have to get an additional olive and BH90 hose end for the caliper side. That way you'll get the full power available from the new lever design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I thought I could use the bh59 or bh63 hoses that I have with the olive and bolt from a bh90.
    Won't that work? I heard the internal diameter is bigger but what about the outer?