mtbr member

mixing elixir brakes w/ magura rotor a ...

good or bad idea.i currently am using the magura wavey 160 rotor with my elixir carbon brakes in the rear with 160 avid slotted rotor/brake in front.
    my thought was that being somewhat solid with no holes, that it would make my brake wear less in sloppy conditions.but im starting to realize it my actually be over heating those tiny elixir brake pads??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zippy895; 05-19-2009 at 11:08 AM.

mtbr member
    The rotor surface area appears to be a little small for the elixer pads - the pad contact is hitting your rotor spokes. I would feel more comfortable going back to the original, or find another aftermarket rotor the has the same braking tract as the avid

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cort
    The rotor surface area appears to be a little small for the elixer pads - the pad contact is hitting your rotor spokes. I would feel more comfortable going back to the original, or find another aftermarket rotor the has the same braking tract as the avid
    I noticed even with magura brakes, the pads contact the rotor arm some.

The magura SL drilled have a larger pad contact area. If you want lite, the formula r1 1 piece rotor has a larger contact area and is like 95 gr for a 160 mm.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Are you running sintered pads back there? They handle heat better than organics.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.