mtbr member

mixing brake brands and rotors

currently using avid elixir brakes and avid clean sweep G3 rotors (203 front, 185 rear). I was thinking about using different rotors, still 203 and 185 but trying a different brand. Any problems using another brand of rotors with these brakes or best to stick with avid rotors on avid brakes?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yes, they work. I did that years ago because of the noise from my Avid brakes. Switching to Ashima rotors made all the difference. Good luck with that. Be aware, Avid's 185 (not sure of the 203) rotors are unique, most other companies are 180mm etc. Therefore, you may have to change spacers etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Yes, they work. I did that years ago because of the noise from my Avid brakes. Switching to Ashima rotors made all the difference. Good luck with that. Be aware, Avid's 185 (not sure of the 203) rotors are unique, most other companies are 180mm etc. Therefore, you may have to change spacers etc.
    thanks for the info. it'd be nice to save some weight on the rotors. I'm 235lbs with gear so i'd still like to have something that will still stop me when the bike is pointed down.

mtbr member
    The Ashima rotors gmats mentioned will be lighter than most. I did the same thing with my elixir brakes, put Ashima rotors on. I wasn't expecting it to make them quieter, but it did, so that was an added bonus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    The Ashima rotors gmats mentioned will be lighter than most. I did the same thing with my elixir brakes, put Ashima rotors on. I wasn't expecting it to make them quieter, but it did, so that was an added bonus.
    cool thanks, i see they have many versions of the Ashima rotors, any recommendations? the airotor looks nice and light but being 235lbs with grear I don't want them to over heat when coming down the mtn. those look more more xc riding. maybe the aro-03 version.
    Last edited by ocguy2004; 11-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Yes, Ashima does have some pretty light rotors. I went with the ones that aren't crazy light and they've withstood seasons of awesome trail riding up in Vancouver BC and CO as well as out here in Hawaii. I got mine from torontocycles.com Price was pretty reasonable too compared to many other manufactures.

Disc Brake Rotors, Disc Brake Accessories, Levers and Shoes

They are "lighter" than the Avids but not by that much (unless you go to the uber light ones). There are certainly lighter weight rotors out there.

mtbr member
    nice but i runnng 203/185 and they don't have a 185 option available

Ow!
    Quote Originally Posted by ocguy2004 View Post
    nice but i runnng 203/185 and they don't have a 185 option available
    Just get a 180mm adapter. I not only mix calipers and rotors, I mix adapters too. Any for the rotor size should work (though I have read sometimes it doesn't--hasn't happened to me though).

mtbr member
    Now would be a good time to get 'standard' sizes for your rotors. If you're getting rotors anyway, why not get 200F/180R with the appropriate adapters? Standard rotor sizes have changed and you won't find 203/185's anywhere now, but 200/180 are made by everyone. It would be less of a headache down the road.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...