mtbr member

Mixing 2 different rotors with xt brakes ok?

I am a little new to mtb bikes so dont be to rough

Ok I recently upgraded my bike to the xt 785 brakes with ice tech rotors for my new wheel set, these work awesome! Now I have my stock wheel set laying around collecting dust and since I tend to ride alot around the "hood" I thought why not put these to use for street use.
    After getting the front wheels hub replaced to a 15mm thru axle hub I now need some rotors, being on a tight budget now I really cant swing another set of ice techs so wondering if its good or bad to run different rotors with the same brake pads?

Also anyone suggest a reasonable priced set of rotors? Looked at some avid hs1's for around $20 a rotor..

Thanks for any input

Bicycle Addict
    That's completely fine. You may have to make some small adjustments going from rotor to rotor as they may have slight variations in width.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates

mtbr member
    Good to hear. I was thinking maybe it wouldnt be good for the pads since some rotors have different design cutouts on them, you know once the pads get worn in from one rotor then you stick another type in.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think one of the only real issues is rotor location on the different hubs. On one wheel, the rotor might sit closer or further out from the hub, but that can be addressed with spacer shims (LBS might have some). If you keep more play between your pads and rotor, not a problem, but if you have them dialed in real tight, it could come into play. Just make sure you get the same diameter rotors, and all should be good.

Merendon Junkie
    I do that on a bike with slx brakes. One set has shimano rotos and the other one has some cheap tektro rotors. They work fine, you do notice a little less power on the first couple of stops when switching wheelsets but then they work great.