mtbr member

Mix and Match Shimano calipers and levers/master cylinders?

Just wondering if there is a significant difference between modern Shimano brakes, in terms of the lever/master cylinder and the caliper, being that they all run on the same mineral oil. I love the idea of a more powerful brake with a four pot caliper front and a two pot rear running a bigger rotor on the front, similar to a motorcycle style, yet visually running the same levers.

The idea is that I buy a Zee caliper but bleed it and use it with a XT M785 or SLX M666 lever/master cylinder for the front, would it work? Anyone tried it, or know theoretically if it would work?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It will definitely work fine, not sure if the lever displacement will be ideal but I assume it is about the same...I will be trying the same thing soon enough with a Saint caliper on XT levers. I'm already running one XTR caliper on the XT levers, but of course these have the same pistons. If youre super curious, may

I think you can even use the same banjo bolt so the hose just bolts right on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am glad I am not the only one who has thought about this - Has anyone tried it yet? How is the lever feel?

mtbr member
    I have a new set of Zee's; love the power, but miss the freestroke adjustment (i had elixir CRs which have great adjustment options).

I want to find out what is the difference between running XT levers VS. Saint levers on my Zee calipers...both XT and Saint have freestroke adjustment, i think. wonder if there would be much difference (power, lever feel, adjustability, etc...)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    All the new XT, Saint/Zee levers are the same internally, only difference is cosmetic.

mtbr member
    I read somewhere that the xt piston might be a little different and produce a bit less force. So that is definitely wrong then?