mtbr member

New question here. Mix and Match Hope lever w/ Avid capliper?

When I was riding in Les Gets we saw a guy who had a Hope lever with an XTR caliper. I had never seem anything like it before but it got me to thinking about my current brake issues. Any how I am having some problems with my Avid's but my fork is post mount and my Hope's are IS. I was wondering about using the Hope lever with the Avid Caliper. Any thoughts?

I know there are different leverages and PSI's assigned by each manufacturers, does anyone see a problem with this set up.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Fluid type.

Hope and XTR are both mineral oil.
    Avid is DOT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    Fluid type.

Hope and XTR are both mineral oil.
    Avid is DOT.
    Hope brakes use brake fluid ??? Hydro piston size (lever & caliper) influence pressure changes.

...idios...
    Hope use DOT 4 or 5.1. Interesting that a Hope lever would work with a Shimano caliper as the Shimano uses mineral oil. I wonder which typeof fluid he was using...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I matched up the Hope Mini levers (from around 2003) with Juicy 5 calipers and got the best brakes I've ever ridden. The Hope levers use a bigger mastercylinder and it pumps a higher volume of fluid. Modulation is decreased somewhat but the power gain is amazing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hampsterstyle View Post
    I matched up the Hope Mini levers (from around 2003) with Juicy 5 calipers and got the best brakes I've ever ridden. The Hope levers use a bigger mastercylinder and it pumps a higher volume of fluid. Modulation is decreased somewhat but the power gain is amazing.
    Sorry for beeing a smart ass, but a larger master cylinder would result in less power and more modulation

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Theory

Theory's good, but I've never been able to do a front wheel slide with any xc disc brake I've ridden (Avid, Hayes, Magura, Formula, Shimano...). Until I started riding this setup. Power is definitely increased. I'm running the same Goodrich lines, same rotor, same levers....just got rid of the Hope calipers as they screamed loud enough to call in a rutting elk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    When I was riding in Les Gets we saw a guy who had a Hope lever with an XTR caliper. I had never seem anything like it before but it got me to thinking about my current brake issues. Any how I am having some problems with my Avid's but my fork is post mount and my Hope's are IS. I was wondering about using the Hope lever with the Avid Caliper. Any thoughts?

I know there are different leverages and PSI's assigned by each manufacturers, does anyone see a problem with this set up.
    It will work. You will just have to decide whether you want to use DOT or mineral. Whichever you decide, you will need to flush the other part, clean it well, replace the rubber bits (ie o-rings etc), reassemble and set up with your fluid of choice.

Either system can run either fluid type. You just need the rubber internals to be "euqilibriated", for lack of a better word, to that fluid.

Plays with tools
    I would think running mineral oil would be less problematic than running DOT