mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Mismatched brakes - anyone do it ?

I've mentioned on here before the mushy lever on my rear juicy 5 brake. I've pretty much had enough now and have a perfectly good set of stroker rydes i can put on. As the front brake works fine i was thinking of just swapping the rear (at the moment its like 2 different brake systems anyway) Apart from looking a bit odd on the bars i cant see any problems. Anyone else use different brakes front and rear ?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Go for it. You'll probably notice a difference in feel at the levers, but you're already modulating your front and rear brakes unevenly / independently based on your riding, so it's nothing to adapt to.

Not a whole lot different that running a larger front rotor, or a front disc and rear V -- you'll quickly adapt to any perceived differences.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

banned
    Try it. The worst that could happen you're still up and running and can look for the mate in the future if it doesn't feel right.

I run "mismatched" brakes, but for a slightly different reason in that I don't need as much power in the back as in the front, and I need more modulation. I run a Hope v2 203 vented in the front, with an M4 183 in the back. I really notice no difference in feel while riding, considering that different levels of braking are required in the front and back anyhow. The levers are the same shape, though the M4 is on a mini MC.

Others also run smaller rotors in the back, or some run less powerful models, such as the relatively popular combo of the M4 in the front and Mini in the back. Some also ran m6/m4 combos as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've been running low end shimano levers 'br-m485' is the # on the lever with magura gustav calipers and there awesome. I hated the feel of the gustav lever. Those cheap shimano levers feel perfect.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Do-able, but very Ghetto...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    haha yes. G-H-E-T-T-O

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    That's pretty snobby.

I have a different front wheel vs. rear wheel (including the hubs) Is that ghetto? My rear is CK, front hub is Hope (Syncros f. rim, DT rear). Are my CK hubs being ghettofied now because I have the bastard Hope in the front? Maybe that's why my f. wheel feels so bad.....must be suffering from performance anxiety. He's got a lot to live up to with the CK buzzing behind him....i'd be nervous too.

29 some of the time...
    Main problem that I have run into with unmatched brakes is that the levers usually can't be set up symmetric. Since most mfg do the clamp different in order to get the end of the lever in the same place with respect to the grips the clamps will be in different locations. Not a problem until it comes to the shifters, they can end up pretty wacky to accommodate the mismatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

banned
    Again, I note no difference in feel with my Hopes. The fact is, one doesn't always need the same massive amount of braking in the rear as in the front. So long as one can get the feel up front the same (and how many people have identical front and rears and the rear lever has long throw?), it doesn't really matter. I can't possibly use more power in the rear advantageously, unless I actually want to reduce my fun in riding. However, there are times when the front is exactly what I need, and both combined do the trick.

PS- how many cars and motorcycles use identical front rear brake setups? Really, mountain bikers are a joke at this point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    PS- how many cars and motorcycles use identical front rear brake setups?
    practically none. but that's because they were designed that way. if your front calipers were red and your rears were yellow or if you had front brembos only, it would look corny wouldn't it?

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I'm ridin' ghetto, it would seem. And cheap. It works for me.

I wanted/needed to upgrade the brakes on my GT, but wasn't sure exactly how much brake I would need. I chose to upgrade my fronts to 185mm Avid BB7s from the stock Tektro 160mm setup. I also added the Avid Speed Dial 7 levers (front and rear). I don't seem to have a problem with modulation between the two different types of brakes.

Thus far, the setup is working fine for my needs. I will eventually upgrade the rear brakes to BB7s as well, but I don't feel the need to do immediately.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Absolutely nothing wrong with ghetto...just not for ME
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Newer xtr lever with an older xt caliper on the front, and a newer xt lever and newer xt caliper on the rear. The levers have a slightly different shape, but I don't notice any difference while riding. I pieced the setup together for a fraction of the price of a new setup and have no regrets. I also don't give a damn what my bike looks like as long as it can perform as I want it to.

mtbr member

mismatch

I got one silver lever and 1 black.I like the funky looks.

the giant.
    i have tektro io for the rear and avid bb5 in the front. both have tektro levers. i like the difference in braking power. just enough to lock the rear. and just enough to go OTB for the front.

yeah my setup isnt all that ghetto but i love it