mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well mineral oil spilled off from the reservoir

i opened the reservoir of my '05 xt hydro brakes to check the oil but i forgot to put the levers on level position and some mineral oil spilled from the reservoir upon opening.though the lever is still stiff as it used to be when depressed, i wonder if the spillage should cause any alarm. do i have to bleed the system or just add oil?thanks

mtbr member

Do both...

easy to do since you have to add oil when you bleed anyway... You don't want to find out that air got into the system on a long downhill...

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by ARITAO_CHAMELEON
    i opened the reservoir of my '05 xt hydro brakes to check the oil but i forgot to put the levers on level position and some mineral oil spilled from the reservoir upon opening.though the lever is still stiff as it used to be when depressed, i wonder if the spillage should cause any alarm. do i have to bleed the system or just add oil?thanks
    Unless the port in the bottom of the reservoir got uncoverd you're ok. Just level the reservoir and fill completely. I'm not an expert on Shimano brakes but on others, replacing the cap should displace some fluid. This makes sure there is no air in the reservoir.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

thanks guys

ill be more careful with my stuff next time.no more hurrying!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Unless the port in the bottom of the reservoir got uncoverd you're ok. Just level the reservoir and fill completely. I'm not an expert on Shimano brakes but on others, replacing the cap should displace some fluid. This makes sure there is no air in the reservoir.