mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mineral oil leaking from deore m596 lever

Hi all

Just hoping that some one can point me In the right direction!

I swaped my elixir 7s fo my old deores due to the braking feel and unreliability of the avids.

Now lv bled the brakes the rear is really spongy and is leaking from the the lever (from under the resivour cap). And can not for the life of me make it stop.

Please help?

Just a flesh wound
    When you bled the brakes, did you push the lever forward after you closed the bleed screw to let air out of the line? Push the lever forward and tap the line and the reservoir body. Also, the reservoir just has a seal that holds the fluid in, so it is probably just overfilled. There is no real pressure in the reservoir, unless maybe air is creeping in from the line and messing things up. So do a bleed again and remember to open the line to the reservoir by pushing the lever forward.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    When you bled the brakes, did you push the lever forward after you closed the bleed screw to let air out of the line? Push the lever forward and tap the line and the reservoir body. Also, the reservoir just has a seal that holds the fluid in, so it is probably just overfilled. There is no real pressure in the reservoir, unless maybe air is creeping in from the line and messing things up. So do a bleed again and remember to open the line to the reservoir by pushing the lever forward.
    Thanks for that...I did flick the lever a few times to get any trapped air out (im guessing that tip was naff).

Ill let you know how it goes tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue. An o-ring was missing from the master cylinder. Strange it didn't start leaking until after a couple of months.