BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006

Mineral Oil in Juicy 7's?

I am a big fan of mineral oil. It is lower maitenance and it is just plain better in my opinion. I know DOT fluid will destroy the seals on a mineral oil brake, but would mineral fluid affect an avid/hayes brake. I have juicy 7's and i am eager to try this.

Meh.
    Glycol based DOT fluid only. Say hello to a rebuild otherwise.

Either way, performance-wise, DOT 5.1 is superior to mineral oil. DOT does not absorb air like you've said in previous posts. It is hygroscopic. It likes water, and will absorb moisture. Eventually the boiling point will lower. But being that it is able to absorb the water unlike mineral oil, you are less likely to have a catastrophic failure.

banned
    Feb 2007
    The owners manual clearly states to use DOT fluid only. I wouldn't risk it.

Freshly Fujified

Not only that but...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyK
    The owners manual clearly states to use DOT fluid only. I wouldn't risk it.
    On my 2007 Juicy 7's it's engraved right on the reservoir cap. My guess is they do this for a reason.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb4life45
    I am a big fan of mineral oil. It is lower maitenance and it is just plain better in my opinion. I know DOT fluid will destroy the seals on a mineral oil brake, but would mineral fluid affect an avid/hayes brake. I have juicy 7's and i am eager to try this.

If you really want to use mineral fluid brakes, sell the Juicys and get some Magura or Shimano brakes. Magura Louise would be very comparable and are reasonably priced.
    Long Live Long Rides