Thread: Mineral fluid

If you think you can

Mineral fluid

Is it all the same or do i need to use shimano fluid on my saints or will any mineral fluid work the same?

banned
    Oct 2008
    if you care about weight...I find saint's to be heavy. Saints are heavier, and juicy's are one of the best brakes on the market and look better. The real issue is do you prefer DOT fluid or Mineral oil. I use XTR's and my big reason is weight, and you get to use the Mineral oil, so much nicer to work with than the DOT fluid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Magura Royal Blood will probably be ok, some 3rd parties like Finish Line offer disc brake specific mineral oil that will likely work out fine. I would steer away from anything not specifically designed for disc brakes. I don't know the warranty regulations of Shimano, but it could be that you lose warranty if you use oil other than Shimano. If you want to be sure it works as intended by Shimano, I guess OEM oil is the only way to go (especially since there are no compliancy norms for minerial brake oil like there are for DOT).

Oh yeah, and don't put DOT in there, the seals won't like it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_waugh
    if you care about weight...I find saint's to be heavy. Saints are heavier, and juicy's are one of the best brakes on the market and look better. The real issue is do you prefer DOT fluid or Mineral oil. I use XTR's and my big reason is weight, and you get to use the Mineral oil, so much nicer to work with than the DOT fluid.
    As far as the looks comment, that's always debatable.

As far as "one of the best brakes on the market goes", there are several multi-page threads about the shortcomings in Avid Juicies and every year SRAM fixes yet another problem, but many persist with them. They are OEM spec brakes for hydraulics, and that's about it. They come easily packaged when manufacturers OEM spec from sram, including a fork and drivetrain group.

As far as the DOT comment, time and time again the argument has come up about DOT vs. Mineral. If mineral is so "green", I urge you to find the additive ingredients and tell me if those hydrocarbon compounds will make you want to drink it or think it's much less toxic or can be dumped in the drain or other myths mineral proponents make up and perpetuate.

~Disc~Golf~
    it's all the same sh!t. the stuff you find @ Lowe's is made by the people who make the sh!t for Shimano.
    Don't fall for the brand name crap. read the label. compare specs. find something cheaper than Shimano.
    ps
    same goes for shock oil and others
    Honestly... ahh I give up

If you think you can
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    it's all the same sh!t. the stuff you find @ Lowe's is made by the people who make the sh!t for Shimano.
    Don't fall for the brand name crap. read the label. compare specs. find something cheaper than Shimano.
    ps
    same goes for shock oil and others
    Thats what I thought. Thanks.
    I don't know why the other people even mentioned Juicy's and weight and which one is better. I don't care. I wanted to know about the fluid!

Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_waugh
    Ok... a good reply, but he already has saints. And the Juicy's compared to the Saints (power and modulation-wise, not weight)... they just don't compare.

I use Pentosin CHF 7.1 on my Magura Julies. It's a very light fluid. Not too vicious. Works well.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by 62kona
    I wanted to know about the fluid!
    Posting while drunk is habitual on these forums, ergo the weird recommendations.

As for fluid, I use XTR and XT brakes with "normal" mineral oil you can purchase at drug stores. After several years, I've never had a problem, it's nontoxic and performs very well under all normal riding conditions. Oh, and it's inexpensive. If you must use the Shimano branded oil, ... simply add some red food coloring, TA-DA!

I AM I AM
    Just buy the shimano stuff, it's affordable enough for the amount of times you're likely to need to use it and the quantity you're likely to want.

For bleeding the brakes whenever they need it (I have prior model XT's) I find one of those little bottles lasts for ages. If you need to install two fresh brake lines then you'd probably use the whole bottle up.

CRC sells bulk 1L bottles of the shimano fluid, so if cost for quantity is your issue then just get one of those!
    If you're in a pinch and want fluid now and can't source shimano stuff then just the the generic mineral oil (I'd stay away from the supermarket or drug store though), like finishline, aligator etc.

mtbr member

On the cheap.....

Is it all the same or do i need to use shimano fluid on my saints or will any mineral fluid work the same?
    Check out this thread I started 6 weeks ago. I learned a lot about mineral oil and the differences of the fluid.

Mineral oil brake fluid....on the cheap

Cheers,
    BFE

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i use paintball marker oil(its 4 rubber seals and tippman says its mineral oil) and its way cheaper than lbs

trail addict
    This is the cheapest source I found for mineral oil I would trust in my brakes...

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Chemi...luids/Pentosin

At my door in 2 days, for about $15, including shipping. Should be enough to last for as long as I'll need it.

In an emergency, you could get away with drug store mineral oil, but I would flush it out with true hydraulic mineral oil ASAP! Drug store stuff is thicker and isn't meant to be used in brake systems (could damage seals, might overheat, ???).
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Ive used shimano & finish line mineral oil with no ill effects on all my shimano brakes xt & xtr
    I wouldnt use drugstore oil but either of those or Magura seems to be the same viscosity