mtbr member
    Aug 2006

MIL-H-5606 for hydraulic brakes?

Has anybody ever tried MIL-H-5606 hydraulic fluid in their brakes? This is red mineral-based hydraulic fluid commonly used in aircraft systems, most notably brakes.

Aeroshell
    Phillips66
    Texaco

It seems to me this would work just fine, and at $5 a pint to $20 a gallon, this would be a lot better than buying dinky bottles for $8-$10 at the LBS.

I did find this thread, but didn't see if anybody had tried it.

FWIW, aircraft brakes don't get used all that much, but the systems tend to be small, lightweight, and MUST work especially when used for a long, hard braking (as in a long-landing or aborted takeoff and you're about to go off the runway). Seems to me this would be an effective alternative (and one I already have in the garage ).

Thanks and Happy New Year. - AJ

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    If your brakes call for mineral-based fluid then I would use it. The only reason it's dyed red is to distinguish it from other fluids......as you may know military hardware has all kinds of mechanisms for safety and misuse.

If you want to read the mil spec document do a search on this website. If it's still valid you can download the pdf....sometimes the specs are sold to professional organizations (SAE, AN, ASME or ANSI) then you have to buy them.

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/