Ted
    Ted in real life

MikeT: Problem with the Magura Bleed Tips

When bleeding my 2004 Louise FR's I followed the tips on the cult website exactly and got good results. My last step was to put the pads back in and put more oil in to max out the system. Fine. A few weeks later I tried to put new pads in and could not do it. I had maxed out the system with older thinner pads and I could not fit new thicker pads in. The tips should suggest putting new pads in to max out the system.

Does this helpful adjustment to the tips get me into the cult?

banned
    Jan 2004

Ha ha, I was just thinking earlier today, I might get in the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted
    When bleeding my 2004 Louise FR's I followed the tips on the cult website exactly and got good results. My last step was to put the pads back in and put more oil in to max out the system. Fine. A few weeks later I tried to put new pads in and could not do it. I had maxed out the system with older thinner pads and I could not fit new thicker pads in. The tips should suggest putting new pads in to max out the system.

...way! With the slack membership lately, it's not only worth a shot, but your seemingly small tip, could help someone not in the know.

I was thinking they could have suggested fixing the bleed syringe in an upright position, during the final stages where you pump the lever, to allow the air bubbles to rise easier. It's also necessary to hold the lever down if they slowly evacuate the caliper, even if the syringe IS upright. After seeing the bubbles suck back into the caliper upon releasing the lever, I knew there was some info missing. Not all the bubbles come out the same size, or at the same speed, some are large enough to fill the circumfrance of the tube, and move quite slowly. The ones hard to catch, are the small ones that move slowly. These are the ones that most necessitate holding the lever down, with the syringe fixed upright, so that even the portion of the tube exiting the caliper is above horizontal, while waiting for them to rise.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlygig
    I was thinking they could have suggested fixing the bleed syringe in an upright position, during the final stages where you pump the lever, to allow the air bubbles to rise easier. It's also necessary to hold the lever down if they slowly evacuate the caliper, even if the syringe IS upright. After seeing the bubbles suck back into the caliper upon releasing the lever, I knew there was some info missing. Not all the bubbles come out the same size, or at the same speed, some are large enough to fill the circumfrance of the tube, and move quite slowly. The ones hard to catch, are the small ones that move slowly. These are the ones that most necessitate holding the lever down, with the syringe fixed upright, so that even the portion of the tube exiting the caliper is above horizontal, while waiting for them to rise.
    Mike doesn't have that up there but that's the way I advocate doing it.
    Ted, sorry that happened to you. And I agree that it's a valid point.
    As for Cult membership....well, only the ONGO can help you there.
    He's quite busy these days. Memberships are soaring !!!!
    Life....the original terminal illness

A wheelist

That sounds like a decent tip Ted. Any chance I can get you to write it out for me so I can change my site? I love volunteers! I just spent the last 40 mins in my volunteer capacity of Review section moderator deleting deficient reviews.

I'll run the tip past Magura's Jimi/Lonnie.

Hey and that can be your induction requirement to the world famous Cult! Pick yourself a # off my members' page (#54 has gone too but not yet updated) and give me your intended Cult name also.

Thanks!

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & ONGO)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

A wheelist

Ok here's the latest.

I've been in touch with Magura's Jimi this morning and he's sent me the very latest bleeding tips. They are now installed on my Magura Cult site (Self Adjusting Brakes section) for all to see.

If you fellows would read them and get back to me/us if you have suggestions for making them better. Thanks.

Mike T. (mcm #717, ONGO, msps #003)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Ted
    Ted in real life
    MikeT: I read through the new tips and they look fine to me. The note after Step 11 also applies to '04 Louise FR brakes but that is covered in the section titled "no brakes after having bike upside down".

Sign me up as sv_ted and #7777.

Thanks

A wheelist
    MikeT: I read through the new tips and they look fine to me. The note after Step 11 also applies to '04 Louise FR brakes but that is covered in the section titled "no brakes after having bike upside down".
    Don't anyone ever say that MaguraUSA and the Cult don't listen and act. Yesterday (Thurs) and Weds Jimi, Squeak and I had e-mails flying back & forth about fine details and interpretations of the bleeding instructions on my Cult site. We got a couple of the details hammered out and I put up the new stuff yesterday morning.

So as of right now this is the latest & greatest info on bleeding all Magura disc brakes. Heck it's more thorough than Magura Germany's site. I'm sure I can react a lot quicker than they can.

When Jimi has some new info he e-mails me and asks me to update my site.

Sign me up as sv_ted and #7777.
    Yessirr! I've installed you on the official Cult database and I'll fire up my website editor and install you on the site when I get a few "honeydew" jobs out of the way today.

For full Cult benefits I need to know if you're in N.Am and I need your eeee-addy. You may PM them to me if you wish. Use your name and number with pride.

Thanks.

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & ONGO)